How long does an adoption process usually take?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ksauter
Hello I'm manly a lurker here. I've just had my 3rd IUI and if doesn't work then we will move on to the next step which is IVF. My DH and I have discussed adopting many times do to the fact we may not be able to have our own children and even if we can, to go through allof this medical stuff each time would be so stressful and hard on us. We definalty want one biological child but after that we will have to wait and see about having another. We both do want to adopt atleast one though, I was just wondering how long the process usually takes? We would really like to stick to adopting in the U.S.
Starting adoption classes!! Finally getting the process started
IUI #3 BFN
1 laporoscopy, 1 mc, 6mo's of clomid, 3 mo's of injections and IUI's
countless blooddraws and ultrasounds. Hopefully a BFP soon!!
Kelly 29 and JD 29 adopting #1 (or maybe two)
March 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Kelly and welcome to the board. I am probably not the right person to answer this, but I think domestic adoption times can vary greatly. We have friends who just adopted a newborn baby girl from California and they waited approximately 9 months from the time they completed their paperwork to the time they were matched.

We have some moms on this group who are waiting right now, and they can probably give you a better idea as to what the average wait times are. I wish you the best in your journey to parenthood!!

my photog blog / my family blog
April 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Doshriad's Avatar Member
Quote:
Hello I'm manly a lurker here. I've just had my 3rd IUI and if doesn't work then we will move on to the next step which is IVF. My DH and I have discussed adopting many times do to the fact we may not be able to have our own children and even if we can, to go through allof this medical stuff each time would be so stressful and hard on us. We definalty want one biological child but after that we will have to wait and see about having another. We both do want to adopt atleast one though, I was just wondering how long the process usually takes? We would really like to stick to adopting in the U.S.[/b]
It really depends on where/what you are adopting from. I only have experience with Foster Adoption, which is FREE (except for lawyer fees which is usually about $2500). We got DD on March 25,2005. TPR (termination of parental rights) was completed a month later......we are STILL waiting to finalize our adoption 2 YEARS LATER!!!! It can be a very frustrating and aggravating process, but no more so than going through expensive fertility treatments (believe me, been there too (((hugs))) Goodluck in whatever you choose!
is how love really works.

-- Author:unknown
</span>
April 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Veteran
Hi. I am the adoptive mom of 2 wonderful kids. We did 5 rounds of IVF. I so wish we had skipped them. I am not telling you waht to do by any means, but adoption has been such a wonderful expierence for us. I still suffer from post effects of all those medications, I just wish how perfect adoption was before I had wasted so much money, time and my emotions. Its just a thought, I cant help but share. But everyone must follow their own gut. Just never think of adoption as a second choice. I promise if you do adopt, you will never think of it that way after you meet your child (It wouldnt be fair to adopt a kid if you did feel that way).

As for time frames, both of my kids were adopted in about 6 months from signing a contract with an agency. But it varies greatly from 6 months to several years. Just google adoption and there is plenty to learn out there.

April 9th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you very much for your post. We actually have began the adoption process but we are not ruling IVF out. We want to keep our options open
IUI #3 BFN
April 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Veteran
Timeframes vary depending on whether you adopt from an agency(and pay the fees) or adopt from foster care (for free). Either way, TPR (termination of parental rights) has to happen. In agencies, they have birthmothers come and sign their rights away. In foster care, some moms sign and some moms are terminated in court. In Maryland, both parents' rights have to be terminated. In foster care, the law requires that a parent receive reunification services except in extreme circumstances. After they have been in foster care for 12-15months, we start looking to change plans to adoption, but that doesn't mean that rights are terminated yet. Petitions get filed and we (DSS) may have to go to court and face legal delays, etc. The entire process (from entry to adoption) takes about 2 years from foster care. However, if you ask for legally free children the time frame is much less, but so is the choice of children (as many foster parents choose to adopt the children they have been fostering). Also, some children may return home in the initial 12-15 months if you decide to foster. Going with an agency, though, you may also wait depending on how many families they have waiting versus how many birthmoms they have coming to the agency ready to sign their rights away. Also, you may have birthmothers change their minds and decide to keep their children. Adoption is a wonderful thing, but either way (agency or DSS ) there are risks. I also agree with the other poster, you have to want to adopt a child and not consider that child a second choice. If that is the case, you should keep trying to conceive your own. Good Luck either way!!!!!!!
April 12th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Regular
[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=7]My husband & I went thru numerous fertility procedures then went to adoption. We went thru 2 failed private adoptions - actually got a week before the baby was due on the last one. I didn't think we could take any more disappointments. We started watching a program on our local tv "GIFT OF LOVE" which highlighted foster children available for adoption thru our state agency. That is where we found our 2 daughters. We attended the necessary classes and completed the numerous piles of paperwork & got our girls within 6 months. They had to be in our home for 6 months before the adoption was finalized but the cost is minimal compared to the private adoptions. We paid a little over $ 3,000 (attorney fees). The adoption is closed which means new names, new social security numbers, new birthdates, new place of birth, new birth certificate. No ties to their past other than their memories. The girls are healthy - no physical problems or mental problems. They are just normal kids. They've adjusted well - no ackward moments. We met then & took them home the 1st day. They have only been away for 2 days since - overnights at the foster home to pack their belongings. I can't imagine our lives without them!
April 12th, 2007, 10:29 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=7]My husband & I went thru numerous fertility procedures then went to adoption. We went thru 2 failed private adoptions - actually got a week before the baby was due on the last one. I didn't think we could take any more disappointments. We started watching a program on our local tv "GIFT OF LOVE" which highlighted foster children available for adoption thru our state agency. That is where we found our 2 daughters. We attended the necessary classes and completed the numerous piles of paperwork & got our girls within 6 months. They had to be in our home for 6 months before the adoption was finalized but the cost is minimal compared to the private adoptions. We paid a little over $ 3,000 (attorney fees). The adoption is closed which means new names, new social security numbers, new birthdates, new place of birth, new birth certificate. No ties to their past other than their memories. The girls are healthy - no physical problems or mental problems. They are just normal kids. They've adjusted well - no ackward moments. We met then & took them home the 1st day. They have only been away for 2 days since - overnights at the foster home to pack their belongings. I can't imagine our lives without them! [/b]
Congratulations to you, what a wonderful story! How old are your girls? Welcome to the group, by the way, I'm Marla, mom of 4, including 2 beauties from China and 2 bio boys.

my photog blog / my family blog
April 12th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks for all of the replies I do want you guys to know that we are NOT adopting as a second choice, Even if we could have our own or do have our own we both still want to adopt. We just don't want to give up trying for our own.

Thanks for all of the replies I do want you guys to know that we are NOT adopting as a second choice, Even if we could have our own or do have our own we both still want to adopt. We just don't want to give up trying for our own.
IUI #3 BFN
April 18th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Regular
We have adopted through the state and we are in the process of adopting our second child. We found out that if you go through the foster/adopt system you could get children in your home before you know if the child will go up for adoption We have had several foster children in our home and most of them do leave to be back with birthparents or relatives. We had been trying to adopt for five years before we did adopt because you never know which children will be available for adoption. Now, a year later we are trying to adopt our second child but, there are still some issues with that.

Kimberley

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search