Older adoptions?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2007, 08:53 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I've posted here in the past about the possibility of us adopting a couple of older children (siblings?) in about 10 years. I want to start doing my homework now. Ben is 1. He'll be 3 (Lord willing) when #2 comes along. The thought is that when the kids are appx 10, we'd adopt 2 more kids who are also appx 8-10. I know that when older children are placed for adoptions it's usually because of some terrible circumstance in their life, and that when possible, siblings are placed with the same family. Can anyone direct me to websites that give more details than that. Domestic or International... I don't care. If it matters, I'm in Texas.

EDIT... I just found adoptuskids.org. Would like to find more. Sadly, I fell in love with two little boys there 10 years too soon. We're not ready to adopt just yet.
April 27th, 2007, 11:25 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We adopted our oldest daughter at 5 3/4, and it has been absolutely incredible experience. If we were to adopt again, I would definitely go for an older child.

A couple of books I recommend are "Helping Children Cope with Separation and Loss" and "Adopting the Older Child" both by Claudia Jewett Jarratt. They kind of present worst case scenarios, but there are so many unknowns in adopting older kids that I think it's important to be ready for anything. Our motto was prepare for the worst, and hope for the best (and we were blessed to have just about the best experience possible). There are also lots on online support groups for older child adoption, and it is so helpful to talk with parents who have BTDT.

Good luck!!

my photog blog / my family blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search