Homestudy

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2007, 09:22 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This may be a silly question ---
We are debating whether to adopt or go the IVF route and would like to be fully informed before I have my heart set on the possibility of either.
If we choose adoption, I am somewhat concerned about the home study. We have a beautiful home in a nice neighborhood but I am worried about a few things:
1. My dh works crazy hours and cannot cut back (owns his own practice, no other doctor to fill in)
2. We have 4 dogs. They are all friendly and well cared for.

Will either of these facts affect our ability to get through the homestudy? I am more worried about the dog issue than the work issue...because the number of dogs seems insane to most people.

Thanks in advance.
April 26th, 2007, 12:05 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I never even thought to ask that!! We'd like to get a piece of land out in the country and run a dog rescue some day. I'm interested in the answer as well!
April 26th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Quote:
I never even thought to ask that!! We'd like to get a piece of land out in the country and run a dog rescue some day. I'm interested in the answer as well![/b]
Me either but I believe I read somewhere that they take into account if you have an agressive dog. Ours are not agressive at all but four is a lot for most people. I think I am the neighborhood crazy dog lady .
April 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ksauter
Are you doing private adoption or through your state ( like a child ward of the state)? We are adopting through the state and our rep said that as long as the kid didn't have any pet issues and our home was clean and so were the pets. the pets are well cared for. There is plenty of room in the household so that it is not a crowded house. OF course that there are no aggressive animals and they are well trianed and behaved.
Starting adoption classes!! Finally getting the process started
IUI #3 BFN
1 laporoscopy, 1 mc, 6mo's of clomid, 3 mo's of injections and IUI's
countless blooddraws and ultrasounds. Hopefully a BFP soon!!
Kelly 29 and JD 29 adopting #1 (or maybe two)
April 27th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Are you doing private adoption or through your state ( like a child ward of the state)? We are adopting through the state and our rep said that as long as the kid didn't have any pet issues and our home was clean and so were the pets. the pets are well cared for. There is plenty of room in the household so that it is not a crowded house. OF course that there are no aggressive animals and they are well trianed and behaved.[/b]
No, we would be going for an international adoption. I believe the homestudy is general for all types of adoptions and more specific to the child...??
April 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know about other countries, but I remember being told specifically NOT to put any pictures of pets (especially dogs) in our homestudy photos for our China adoptions, but it certainly wasn't a problem to have them. It's just a cultural thing, they don't look at dogs as family members like we do here.

Good luck with your decision!! Oh, and for international adoption, your homestudy will need to be specific for the country you are adopting from.

my photog blog / my family blog
May 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
My girlfriend went through a homestudy and has 3 labs and 4 cats. I think it might be an issue if they weren't cared for properly. Right now they are adopting 2 little girls(sisters) so it must not have been an issue.
May 25th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Regular
We just adopted our second child. We have a dog and a cat. We talk to a lot of others that have adopted. They have a lot of dogs and cats too. It was no problem as long as they are not aggressive and they were updated on their shots. My husband also works unusual hours but, as long as he could participate in his part of the homestudy everything was alright. They usually ask both parents questions and so my husband had to be home when they came to ask questions for our homestudy.
May 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM
fallsbaby's Avatar Veteran
I totally agree.....pets are a part of our family. As long as they are well cared for, have their shots and the house is not run over with dog poop...you will be fine!

FOr the record, I have 1 dog and 3 cats! And when I had my home visit...the social worker got on the FLOOR with the dog and rubberd her belly until she fell asleep!!
May 30th, 2007, 12:28 AM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
I have also heard that the shots have to be up to date and they have to be taken care of. We have 1 dog inside, 7 outside, 1 bird inside, 2 turtles inside, and a fish tank. It may also depend on how your social worker feels about animals.

June 3rd, 2007, 08:50 PM
Veteran
I know this is a delayed reply, but wanted to say we have three big dogs and my husband is also a physician who works aloto f hours, and we had NO problem with the homestudy. It was easy.

June 17th, 2007, 09:55 PM
IrishMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
While we don't have dogs, I HIGHLY doubt that it has any affect on a homestudy visit.
The way they described it to me and the way it turned out was the very same.
They want to come and see what your house is like, literally the social worker said that if we said we had an attached garage we want to make sure you do.
Also it allows them with information should the birthmother be interested in what the house is like etc.

As far as your DH's time off work, that was a concern of ours and Dh just took a day off for both homestudy appts.
I know that if there is a DH in the picture he has to attend the homestudy visit.

Dogs should not be a inhibiting factor, nor should much else.
It was real subdued.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search