I have a stupid question!

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2007, 09:43 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What the heck is a homestudy? I keep seeing that word everywhere. I think I kinda get what it means, but not really. What's involved? How long does it take? What's the point of doing one? Is it always required? Seriously, I'm pretty clueless!
April 28th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Regular
For our homestudy to adopt someone came out to our home several times to talk to us. They had a tour of our home so they could see how many bedrooms we had, check for smoke detectors, a fire extinguisher, etc. They also did a few interviews. They do not check to make sure you have the cleanest house or anything like that. Our house is not perfectly clean and that did not matter. I do not remember how many times they came but, they had to keep doing interviews. The homestudy is usually required. I do not really know where it is not required. The homestudy is just to make sure you have space for the children and a safe home. They also asked things about our neighborhood to make sure we lived in a safe neighborhood. And they did most of our interviews in our home to get information about us.
April 28th, 2007, 07:49 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Oh! Ok...that makes sense.

And congrats! I'm looking at your ticker. You must be soooooooooooooo excited!
April 29th, 2007, 07:36 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's not a stupid question at all. To be honest, I think "lifestudy" would be a better word for it. Our homestudies covered just about every aspect of our lives. We were asked about our childhoods, parents, educations, marital relationship, health, parenting philosophies, finances, and finally of course, our home. We each had to write autobiographies and were interviewed both individually and together. We had great social workers who always made us feel very comfortable with the process and were great about answering our questions along the way.

my photog blog / my family blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search