Choosing a country

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Regular
My DH and I have decided on an agency to facilitate our international adoption, and now before we begin the dossier, we need to come to a decision on what country we'd like to adopt from . . . China or Guatemala.

Have any of you adopted from either of these countries, or others, and you'd like to share what drew you to bring your child home from that country?

Thanks for any and all advice.
. . . and praying for baby #3, Amelie Jane
</span>

May 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Regular
We brought our daughter home from China 2 months ago. Although the wait has increased significantly since we first applied, China is one of the most predictable, stable programs in international adoption. There are no hidden fees, only 1 trip required (about 2 weeks unless you get a referral from Guangdong, then it's closer to weeks), usually travel in a group. You have to be comfortable with the fact that you will know nothing about the baby's birth family or her medical history before coming to the orphanage. While I was frustrated by the increased wait, I absolutely loved China and knew in my heart our daughter was there.

We had considered Guatemala but after talking to people in the program were wary of the instability. I've also heard concern voiced about whether Guatemala will follow the requirements of the Hague Treaty; if they don't the US could disallow the adoptions.

If you're interested, you can check out my blog which tells about our journey through the adoption process at www.bringingmeimeihome.blogspot.com. Adoption.com is another great website that has a forum on international adoption with subforums for each country.

Paula
May 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had friends who had adopted from China, and fell head over heels with their daugther the moment we met her and knew that we had a daughter (or two ) there as well. We never even considered or researched another country.

I wish you the best with your decision, I know it is probably a difficult one, especially considering how lengthy the wait times are now for China. What agency did you decide on, if you don't mind me asking?

my photog blog / my family blog
May 14th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Regular
Thanks so much for your thoughts. We did decide on China after endless research, it seems. I'm also reading two books . . . Lost Daughters of China and Forever Lily, that have solidified our decision. And, though the wait times are now reaching 20 months after referral, we think it is worth the wait. We're not in a hurry . . . we have two little ones right now, too.

We were wavering between All God's Children, Int'l and Holt, Int'l, and leaning toward AGCI, but we actually found Chinese Children Adoption International (www.chinesechildren.org) that is headquartered out of Colorado (we live in Colo Spgs) and we have fallen in love with them. They have some awesome programs here in CO for after we bring home the baby, and since they only handle adoptions through China we feel a little more secure with the process, and they'll handle our home study.

We aren't going to begin the dossier until this fall after we get moved in and settled into our house that is under construction, which means we likely won't bring home a baby until early 2010!!! Hard to believe.

Hope you had a very Happy Mother's Day!
</span>

May 14th, 2007, 08:52 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY YAY YAY!! Congratulations on your decision! Obviously, I'm partial to China and am thrilled that another sweet baby will find her (or his ) forever family. I have heard fabulous things about CCAI. Good luck with your dossier, and of course, feel free to PM with any questions. Good luck with your house, too. What an exciting time it is for your family!

my photog blog / my family blog
May 14th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Regular
Thank you. We're so excited. We were a little worried about proving $80000 in net assets, but after talking to the agency today, I think it will be okay. A little scary, but should be fine, especially since we can account for jewelry, household items, etc. That will help get us to that magic number. Aside from that, we are thrilled and we feel like our journey as officially begun today. Only two+ years to go . . .
</span>

May 15th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Regular
Congrats on choosing your program! I'm also partial to China. I don't get on here as often as I'd like but if you have any questions, feel free to email me - psullivan067@msn.com I check emails daily but sometimes that's the only place I have time to get online for.

Paula

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search