How did you choose a name?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Regular
I'm wondering how those of you who have adopted or are adopting chose a name for your baby? Did you wait until you had a referral? Did you choose an American name when you started the process to sort of bond with the notion of the whole daunting adventure? Did you make their native name part of their given name from you once you got your referral?

How did you learn what their names translate to in English? I've read mixed things about this, especially for China. For instance, choosing to put words together from Chinese to make an English translation might sound good in English but terrible in Chinese. I'm confusing, right? :-)

We're thinking of the name Meili Jane. Mei: Little sister, beautiful. Li: Strength. Jane: God is gracious and it's the feminine form of my grandpa's name.

My other daughters are Gracie and Ellie, so I'm looking for an "ee" sound to the name. And, I also want to honor the baby's heritage. But, I don't want to mess it all up, either. He he.

We're also thinking that we'd like to name the child in our hearts early on as we begin the journey as an initial tie to the child. What do you think? Crazy? Am I jinxing myself?

Any thoughts? I'm rambling, I know. Thanks!!!
. . . and praying for baby #3, Amelie Jane
</span>

May 14th, 2007, 08:14 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Erin Kate, you're not rambling at all. We named both of our girls early on in the process, just as we did our bio boys. We waited on middle names until we got our referrals and knew their Chinese names. Jaden's full Chinese name was Guo Xiang Hui, so her MN is XiangHui, and Jacey's CN was Yuan Wen Ling, so her MN is WenLing. I felt it was important to keep those names for them, especially for Jacey since she knew and went by her CN for a while after we came home (she was 5 1/2 at adoption).

I think Meili Jane is a beautiful choice, and it goes perfectly with your other girls' names. You could always add your daughter's CN as a 2nd middle name once you get your referral. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

my photog blog / my family blog
May 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Regular
Thank you!!! It's fun to see the name Meili written out and "said" by someone else. I'm a freak about naming!!! I think that was my favorite part of being pregnant. I love your girls' names, too. Sounds like your approach is thoughtful and smart for the child as she grows up.
. . . and praying for baby #3, Amelie Jane
</span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search