Help needed - trying to adopt brother's baby

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2007, 09:38 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello everyone. I would like someone to point me in the right direction for info on adopting from family member but from other countries. I'm living in Canada but I'm originally from the USA. My brother and his partner are having a baby. The problem is this both of them are mentally unable to take care of baby. In fact, the mother is unable to care for herself let alone a child. My brother is a bit better at caring from himself but still needs loads of help. They both have mental health issues. They would like someone to care for the baby.

What do I need to do? The baby is due in September. I'm planning on going to states to take care of the baby anyway if I can't bring the baby back to Canada right away.

Is there any criteria for adoption that has to be met? I'm young and my husband is young also (23) and we don't own a house, but rent a large apartment. He has a good job as a manager. We both have some uni completed and I'm currently doing religious studies diploma. They do not want anyone outside the family to take the baby. They both want to be able to see the child. I would of course raise the child with the full knowledge that I'm his/her aunt.

Well after discussing things further we decided it would probably easiest for us if I go to the states do the adoption and everything there. My husband is going to see if his job will transfer him to the states. They probably wouldn't be able to do a transfer untill after the baby is already born but that's okay since I would be able to go either way. We planned on moving back to the states before this so it works out.

Now basically I need to know how to adopt from a relative within the states (texas).

So Crunchy
May 18th, 2007, 02:14 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I've looked, but I'm not familiar with adoption like these other ladies are, so maybe they can give you more BTDT info. I think you'd probably go through CPS, but you might just have to get your own lawyer and do all of your own paperwork.
May 19th, 2007, 07:22 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think contacting an adoption lawyer would be a great place to start, that way you can know what requirements you'll have to meet and can get started on the paperwork now. I don't know what area you of Texas you will be in, but I can recommend an excellent lawyer in the Fort Worth area if that would help. Please PM if you need her information and good luck!! Be sure and keep us posted on how everything goes.

my photog blog / my family blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search