Where can I find...?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2007, 12:43 AM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
Where can I find someone that has adopted through South Carolina Department of Social Services? I am very nervous about the inspections and have no idea what they are going to look for. I am getting more and more upset (nervous) because I have no idea what exactly is going to happen. Why is it hard to find people to share their expirences with specific details? I would give anything to be able to ask questions to someone who has been through my state's DSS adoption process. I guess that I am overly paranoid about somthing going wrong and us getting denied. This is my life long dream and I am scared to death that they will deny us. I don't want to ask the social worker because I don't want the social worker to think that I am trying to cover anything up. KWIM??

May 30th, 2007, 05:11 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I honestly don't know. What have you googled so far?
May 30th, 2007, 05:24 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually, I think asking the social worker is a good idea. She/He can probably put you in touch with families in your area and that would be a great way for you to see how the process works and how families who have BTDT are doing with their adoptions. Our agency encouraged us to get in touch with other families and even had a list of ones in our area that we could contact (we're now on that contact list). I don't think your SW would see is as trying to cover anything up at all, I think she'd see it as you trying to prepare yourself as much as possible for your adoption, and that's exactly what she wants you doing right now.

Good luck hun and try not to be so nervous! Remember, your SW's job is to help you and to answer any questions you have, so don't be afraid to ask them.

my photog blog / my family blog
May 30th, 2007, 08:04 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ditto. I was thinking the same thing, but I've never been through it, so I didn't really want to push you. I DO think asking the SW is a good idea though.
May 30th, 2007, 04:34 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
I talked with a social worker today that does the home inspections and she said that she will check all areas (including closets and laundry room) to make sure that they are sqeeky clean. She also will see if we have room in the home for another child, which we do because we are adding another 2 bedrooms and another bathroom so that we will have a total of 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. She said that when she comes to inspect the home that the baby's room and the rest of the house have to be totally ready for the baby. She said that everything must be baby proofed. The crib and everything for the baby has to be ready. So that means that we definitely have to get the additional rooms completed ASAP. I still have to buy a crib and set it up because I gave my other one to my friend to use and she just had her baby and will be using it for a while now. I am so OVERWHELMED for sure now because right now my house is completely turned upside down with all of the construction going on. I have to get the carpets cleaned again because the kids keep spilling stuff on it and it looks horrible.

So far our SW loves us to death and has even begged us to do foster care while we wait for an adoption placement. I can't do foster care because I get attached too easily. Our SW is also over our region for adoptions and they may mean that she will be very particular. I don't know! I DO know that I am scared to death of getting rejected for the adoption.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search