Information that we found out

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
I know how hard it is to get information on specifics for adoption and inspections and such, so I am going to keep everyone up to date as we find out information and proceed through the process further. I am hoping that this information will help others, since I have searched long and hard and came up empty.

Now that we are coming up on inspection time, I have started freaking out and my husband called the social worker only to find out that the lady that he spoke with the other day was not who she said she was. The other lady was impersonating our social worker on the phone and has probably lost her job for doing so. My husband explained to her that I was freaking out because I was scared that something would go wrong with the inspections and that we would get denied for the adoption. She told him not to worry that we are completely fine and that she is sure that we will get a baby soon. He asked her about the inspections. She said that the fire marshall will check to make sure that we have fire alarms where they are supposed to be, carbon monoxide detectors, and escape route posted(we can draw a layout of our house and then use red arrows to show ways to exit and where we will meet once we are all outside), and make sure that our fire extinguishers are in working order and that at least 1 of them are in the kitchen. She said the best type to have is the all purpose kind (ABC I think is what she said). DHEC will come out and check the water supply to the house, make sure that the sewer lines can withstand another person (she said all that he will do is flush the toilet), get animal vaccination records to make sure that all the dogs and animals are up to date. That is all he is supposed to check. Then she will send someone out from her office to do an inspection. She said that will just be to make sure that all of the power outlets are childproofed, all power cords are out of childs reach, make sure the child will have a room, bed, etc., and just to make sure that our house is clean enough for them to place a child with us.

She is sending out extra information about the process. I will share more information with all of you as I get it. I am freaking out so bad because I want this to happen so bad but if it is meant to be then it will be. I think that it is natural for us to worry when we are new to this stuff. Our social worker said that we are fine and that I can calm down and not worry so much. She said that she can tell who she will have trouble with by talking with them on the phone most of the time and that we have nothing to worry about. He also asked her about the wait time for a newborn baby and she said that the way that things have been going for the past couple of years that the wait is usually under 6 months. I was so happy to hear that because I was scared that we would be waiting for 10 years or more and have to keep doing the homestudy over and over year after year.

June 17th, 2007, 09:38 PM
IrishMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry that the inspection has you concerned.
I am so excited for you that you are connected, what a wonderful development in your journey to be parents!
I am sure that it will all work out perfectly for you.
Try not to worry too much about the inspection.
Hang in there.

July 9th, 2007, 12:54 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes it gets frustrating but in the end it will be well worth it. Congratulations on your finalization!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search