Adoption in Canada

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Regular
After a very high risk first pregnancy my hubs and I are talking about adopting a child as a way to add to our family. We just are not sure where to find the information. Plus we're not sure about international adoption verses domestic adoption. Does anyone have an idea on what this will cost?
What are your experiences with an open adoption verses a closed one.

Sorry my questions seem to be all over the place, I'm just so confused about the whole thing.

And as a sidebar: I'm a regular JM person, but have decided to use a different sign in name since my SIL knows I'm on the board and we're not 100% sure going to go this adoption route.

thanks for the advice
June 26th, 2007, 09:13 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello and welcome!! I don't know a thing about adoption in Canada, but I'm pretty sure we've got some Canadian moms here who can hopefully help you out. I do know that the cost of adoptions vary widely, we spent about $25K on our adoptions from China and that included travel.

Best of luck with your decision!!

my photog blog / my family blog
June 28th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Regular
Thanks. I appreciate the support.
June 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Tikka's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not a 100% certain, but it some instances in our province it doesn't cost anything. My ex husband and his first wife adopted a little girl through child and family services (a govt run program). The little girl had been taken from her mother at birth, due to the father's abuse of their other children. B was put in a foster home, where she nearly got lost. A year later a social worker said " hey this little girl should be adopted" and so it was. THey lucked out because she is a beautiful and fully function kid with no additions or development problems that sometimes is the case with neglegant parents :-(

If you do a private adoption I would imagine there would be the legal fees, but I think Canada is pretty strict on ensuring there is no financial gain for any party involved in adoption.

In either case, the wait times can be very long. They told my ex to expect a seven year wait ;-o but I think theirs altogether took only two years. Like I said they really lucked out.

July 1st, 2007, 09:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi there!!

My husband and I were going through IF for 5 years (and run a local support group) and looked into every option available! Really it depends on which option you choose...

Children's Aid / Social Services - Usually these adoptions are free - the home studies and the legal fees. Of course, these children are wards of the province and have been removed from their homes for a reason. You also have to be able to consider an older child - and usually that means they just don't want people coming in expecting to adopt a completely healthy baby from birth. When we spoke to a social worker, we said that we'd be willing to consider children with mild developmental delays / medical issues and up to 4 years old. She said that was perfectly fine. They DON'T want you coming in listing an infant in perfect health - although that is, sometimes, what you get.

Domestic Adoption - Usually costs whatever your agency fees, home study fees and your legal fees. I have heard $10k to $15k. I think the more you "network", the faster you can expect to be matched with someone (advertising in papers, Canada Adopts, message boards, etc.) and I even know a few people who adopted healthy newborns from Nunavut. Feel free to PM me for more details if that interests you. In both these cases, the ink was barely dry on the home studies when they had their babies.

International - Really depends. It ranges from approximately $17k to $60k. It really depends on what country your province allows adoptions with. Of course the US is also considered international and those adoptions will only cost $10k to $15 much the same as a domestic.

I also know of a Canadian woman who does professional portfolios for adoptive parents. They are really amazing and she has had great success rates for her clients being chosen quickly... because they make great impressions on the adoptive parents. Again, feel free to PM me if you like.

As for open vs. closed - most domestic adoptions are pushing for open adoptions because studies have proven that these are much better for the children in the long run. They adjust better to being adopted provided they can identify with their biological roots. If you are really interested in a closed adoption, then international (China, Thailand, Vietnam, Korea, etc.) are the way to go as you are guaranteed a closed adoption. Also, very often this will be the case for a Children's Aid adoption... though in some cases, the child may still have contact with a bio grandparent, sibling, half sibling, etc.

Anyway, hope some of this has helped and best of luck to you!!

<3

<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search