Pregnancy during adoption process

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did any of you continue to TTC or get pregnant during an international adoption process?
We have insurance coverage for a few IUIs and are considering trying this while waiting for a referral. We know that the adoption process stops if you get pregnant but curious if the agencies truly stick to this rule.
Any thoughts....
Thanks.
October 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
KatConto's Avatar Super Mommy
No it was found that I only had one ovary releasing eggs and they were not of good quality one of the medications I was on when I was a young child to help control seizures had a nasty side effect of sterilization.
October 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Veteran
Some agencies dont have that rule at all (Ours didnt). If that was a rule I wouldnt try. Thats really playing with fire, your adoption could be disrupted, you could loose money and the child could end up spending more time institutionalized as a result of a disrupted adoption.

ANother thought is that your adopted child is going to need lots of attention when they come home. As fun as it sounds to have kids close together, it is really alot of work. You may not be able to give either babies the attention they deserve. Thats my thoughts on it.

October 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, we were NOT TTC during our 2nd adoption, but did, by some miracle find out I was expecting just days after we accepted Jacey's referral. It was quite a shock, given that it had taken us 4 years and Clomid to conceive our first son. Our agency does have the rule (it's supposedly China's rule, but not all agencies follow it), and we were scared to death we'd lose our referral. We were advised to keep the pregnancy a secret from Holt and just send dh to China to get her, but we knew in our hearts we couldn't do that. Thanks to our awesome social worker, who wrote a glowing report about how she thought our family could handle the situation, we were allowed to continue with Jacey's adoption, and I traveled to China to get her when I was 6 months pregnant. We were only allowed the exception, though, because we were adopting a waiting child who was older. If we had been waiting for the referral of an infant, we'd have been asked to put the adoption on hold and probably would have had to resubmit most of our dossier paperwork because it would have expired while we waited for the one year to pass.

Adopting a child is a huge life change, just like having a baby is, and doing the two things simultaneously is not easy. I can't even imagine how I would have handled two babies at once, it was hard enough adding a 5 year old and newborn to the family within 3 months of each other. So, I guess my advice is to wait on TTC and concentrate your efforts on your adoption. We were absolutely devastated when we thought there was a possibility that we would not be allowed to adopt Jacey, and I wouldn't wish that stress on anyone. Best of luck with your decision, I know it's not an easy one.

my photog blog / my family blog
October 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
Ours was our 2nd domestic adoption. I found out I was pregnant 2 days before we signed the agreement. We finalized exactly 1 month before my baby was born.

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
October 24th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We started with the International Adoption process and would not have TTC'd. However, we switched gears and went forward with an adoption via the foster care system here in the states. I found out I was pregnant (don't ask me how!_ three months after the children came home, before we were eligible to sign the adoptive placement paperwork. I was scared to tdeath that social services might put the adoption on hold, but our social worker is amazing and we finalized when I was six months pregnant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search