Some help?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Super Mommy
hey there ladies! My name is Meggan and am 26 and DH his 33. We just went through our 4th loss in which this ended in a miscarriage. I would have been 12 weeks today, and went for my "12 week appt" 2 days ago and found no heartbeat....i know this can be normal, however-we had heard it/seen it 3 times before this-it was the most devastating day ever-I had a D&C yesterday and Im glad its all over and we're doing better......
This is where you come in.....we decided that we were going to adopt our first child and then try the whole IVF cycle again as we have 14 embryons frozen at our clinic, however my body cannot go through this all again anytime soon!....so, we wanna get started on this as soon as we know what to do-and i was just wondering where we begin-lookin into adopting fro Guatemala-anyone have info on international adoption??? How do you know what a great adoption agency is??? We need something thats gonna go smooth and no scams....(dont we all).....however if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! We are so ready and anxious to start a family and help a child that has nothing-it has always been a thought of mine to wanna adopt and the only thing we can think of is that God knew we wouldnt do it if we didnt adopt first, we try to rationalize why this all has happened to us and cant....its so heartbreaking-but we're getting through it!-thanks again girls if anyone can help
November 16th, 2007, 08:02 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good morning and welcome to the group. I am so sorry for your losses, I can't even imagine how painful a time this must be for you. Getting started in adoption is probably the hardest step. If you're interested in Guatemala, I'd start by searching for agencies that work there. Our agency, Holt International, does, but I don't believe they're accepting applications to the program at this time. We have a mom here who has adopted from Guatemala, and I'm sure she can steer you in the right direction for getting started better than I can.

I wish you the very best and hope that you'll keep us posted on your journey!

my photog blog / my family blog
November 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Meggan,
I am so sorry for your losses. I was at the point that you are a few months ago when we started the adoption process.

Some thoughts -
First, research research research the country that you want to adopt from. I would take a serious look at Guatamala since adoption has been halted in the country due to the Hague treaty. All of the agencies that we looked at are not accepting applications for Guatamala and I would be highly suspicious of one that was. Korea has a similar program to Guatamala in the sense that the children are in Foster Care.
Second, choose your agency. If you google international adoption and your state, you will come up with a list of agencies. I would attend as many info sessions as possible and ask lots of questions.
Finally, get mentally prepared for a wait and lots of paperwork with very intrusive questions.

We are in the paperwork stage and it is very hard but it feels nice knowing that you are working towards a guaranteed child. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
November 16th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Super Mommy
thanks for the info-my neighbor is in the process right now adopting from guatamala....and someone else i know too, so i was surprised to hear that its been haulted....im going to talk to them too, get some feedback and that'll help since we obviously live in the same state-thanks again girls for your help! : ) We'll get through this-if we've gotten through the last 3 years....i think this will be a breeze in a sense.....
November 24th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Regular
We returned from China last March. While changing, this still is, in my opinion, one of the more stable programs. You need to be 30 though to adopt from there. There's an online petition going around many adoption boards asking the US Gov't to grandfather in the children from Guatemala who've already been matched and are in limbo now. I would be very leery of an agency that would take new applications for Guatemala right now. When it comes to international adoption, you have to be prepared for the unexpected. When we started the process, the wait was 6 months; by the time we received our match with our daughter, we had waited 14 months from the time our paperwork went over. Many programs are having longer wait times now. Things could change again and the wait time could get shorter or it could continue to increase; there's really no way to predict it. There's a yahoo group called rate your agency where you can get ideas about the different agencies out there. If you're interested in int'l adoption, another good site to get info from people who've BTDT, is www.adoption.com and go to the forums.

Paula
November 28th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks guys! Its been a couple weeks since my last post, so Im here to update! We actually switched programs from Guatemala (bc we didnt think i was ready for anymore "letdowns" and uncertainties) to Ethiopia....and we obviously know that children over in Ethiopia need us 3x more than Guatemala, so it makes us feel very good about our decision.....Our app is in to our agency, which friends from our neighborhood referred us to, we'll get started on the dossier and get our appt started for the first homestuday! We're excited to start planning!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search