Homestudy

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2007, 01:29 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Help! I am terrified of the homestudy. I am not so scared of the questions or interviews but of the home visit. We are required to have the fire dept. and the health dept do an inspection and I am really worried. Our house is clean and fire safe but still have no idea what they are looking for. Also, I am worried about the home visit from the social worker.

Can you share your experiences and some tips for preparing?
November 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
I'd love to see what people say about this as well. Ours will be in January and I am already stressing about it!

November 28th, 2007, 07:04 PM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First of all, RELAX! Really! It's not going to be a white glove test looking for something wrong with your house. As long as it's clean, well-maintained, and there's room for a baby, then you're all set. We didn't have to do the fire and health dept inspections, but our home visits with our social worker were very casual and relaxed. We took her on a tour of the house, sat down in the living room and basically chatted while she took notes. Don't worry about having to be perfect, just be yourselves and you'll be fine.

my photog blog / my family blog
November 28th, 2007, 11:36 PM
You're telling me you weren't worried? That is good advice though, thank you.

November 29th, 2007, 06:44 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
You're telling me you weren't worried? That is good advice though, thank you.[/b]
Hehe, of course I was nervous the first time! I guess I probably wasn't that nervous though, because we already had a son at the time and I guess I was somewhat confident that I at least halfway knew what I was doing by then. I can see how it would be totally nerve-wracking if you were doing a homestudy for your first child!

I'm sure y'all are going to do just fine with your home studies. Be sure and let us know how it goes!

my photog blog / my family blog
November 29th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Mine isn't for a while so I shouldn't freak out so soon.

November 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Regular
We didn't have to have a fire and health inspection for ours, just the SW coming and making sure everything was okay, checking for smoke alarms, and talking to us for a couple of hours. I had a maid service come so the house was spotless. Of course, my son kept offering to give her a tour of the basement which isn't quite as clean It was fine but I was really nervous the first visit.

Paula
November 30th, 2007, 02:42 PM
kayk's Avatar Member
Send a message via AIM to kayk
We had ours in Sept/Oct. and i was worried b/c our basement is a work in progress to be a family room and all they did was tour the house make sure the toilet flushes, hot water came out of the sink and the smoke detectors work. They also wanted to see the kids's room and make sure you def. have room for kids they also checked to see what kids stuff we already had like car seats and furniture. then they talked to us for a few hours it was not that bad. Relax this is the first step to making your dreams come true!!! GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS
2 fur babies Hope(dog) Maggie(dog)
November 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
I was really nervous with our first one. Not so much with the next. They are usually really nice people and are just looking to get to know you. They have to write a pretty lengthy report so they ask a lot of questions. Try not to be too nervous or clean too much. They really aren't looking for perfection. They just want to get a good picture of you and your family. So be candid and talk with them like they are good friends.

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search