IEP/ARD

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
I had the meeting with Nathan's teacher, service co-ordinator and his Vision Therapist yesterday about his school time next year... he still qualifies thank goodness!
Everything will pretty much stay the same for Nathan except for a couple of things....

No more speech therapy.. which he really doesn't need anymore..
He will go a FULL day of school instead of 3 hours a day.. YAY

IF there is room.. he may go to a different school where he can be *mainstreamed* into a class that has about 18 kids instead of just 6-10...
They are thinking it will help him get ready for kindergarten where the average class here has 22 kids in it... he tends to freak out in really large groups of kids...
Plus this class will be a mixture of *general education kids* kids in *head start* and kids like Nathan in the PPCD program (preschool program for children with disabilities).
They are going to set up a tour of the school for me in a couple of weeks so we can decide.. .if I don't like it or the program he can still go back to where he is now and still for a full day next year.. so we will see!

I also got my annual copy of Information for Parents for the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired...
which is a great school I'm sure... but I looked through the material and it's kind of like boarding school?....but I really can't see myself sending my kid there to live in the *dorms* with guardians.. .I'd just have to move there! lol
April 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thats great news. I am really glad things are going well and Nathan is doing so well, yeah full days of school. I was so happy when Alexis went full days. And yeah, no more speech.I would definately look into the other program. One drawback we had with Alexis when she was in her preschool class for VI kids was that academically, she was the most advanced in the class, so it was very difficult challenging her and getting her engaged, because she would get bored. Now I realize that there's only so much you can do in a preschool class, but wherever he ends up make sure its main focus is on academics. Now that she is in k, and the program focuses on academics specialized for each child, the progress she has made is fabulous.

Your school for the blind sounds like ours, more of a live in school than an actual school. One thing to keep in mind, though not sure if yours would be the same. OUr school for the blind is more for children with multiple severely disabling disabilities in addition to the VI. Most kids have CP, hearing loss, and other severe neuro disorders in addition to the blindness. There are some kids who are just VI or have less severe additional disabilities, but not many kids who are more neurotypical. You may want to look into that and make sure that is not the case for your school (if you haven't already)
April 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah I worry about Nathan getting bored in school sometimes because he is 3 and can read.... he's really smart... BUT because he is a little bit socially behind it kind of balances out, lol. There is a school here I am hoping to get him into when he starts Kindergarten... they let the kids go at their own pace... they have had student graduate college and high school simultaneously!
April 25th, 2008, 07:14 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow I have never heard of something like that student graduate college and high school all at the same time (or place?) how does that work?
April 25th, 2008, 09:31 AM
here's the link to the school...

http://www.brightideasschool.com/main.asp

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search