questions about needing glasses

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Hi there! I have never posted here before but I would love some input/advice. My son is 7 and we school from home, and over the past month I've noticed he's having trouble reading - these are words I know he knows, and I think it's a vision thing. If he's more than a short distance from his books he starts missing words. I printed out an eye chart online and had him stand 20 feet away and he could only see to the 20/80 line clearly. I know that's not a foolproof diagnosis and we are going to take him to the eye doctor shortly, but can anyone tell me what the lowest prescription is that they'll give kids glasses? I pretty much know all of my kids are going to need them at some point - my eyes are 20/1050 and still get worse every year; I started wearing glasses at age 8. DH is a little better and his eyes are stable now but he got glasses at age 10. I am trying to prepare my son for needing glasses but was wondering if they'll prescribe them if he's only at 20/80. If they don't, what do you think I should do to help him with stuff like reading? We'll be taking summer break but by fall he's going to need to be able to see clearly! Thanks for any info!

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
May 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My guess is that he will get glasses, even if its only for reading. I f he is having trouble reading, and his sight is not perfect, then they will prescribe glasses to make reading easier. I do know though that at 20/40 they won't prescribe glasses because my brother was that for a long time and never got glasses, however, he never complained of having difficulty reading, so IDK. Usually if their is trouble reading or seeing the blackboard, they will prescribe glasses to allow the child to easily complete their schoolwork.

Other things to look for to tell if its a vision thing, does he squint when he's trying to read? Does he bring the book closer to his face or his face closer to the book? Does he start to get headaches after doing a lot of reading work?

It is very possible he may just need them for reading and schoolwork, but I def agree that a trip to the opthal. is a good thing. HTH.
May 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
Has he been tested for dyslexia?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search