got dates for mri!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Regular
hello, so yet again i have another question from you mummies who've been there and done that, sorry! zachariah has finally got a date for his mri, next tues (20may) i am petrified, i know i shouldn't be as it may mean we get to the bottom of it all, but i'm still a little nervous and worried.
Anyway because he's now a bigger baby at 5 months + they said they will sedate him so we have to fast for him to be there at 8.30 and then his scan is not until 11.30. i've been looking up on internet about what they do for sedation and all i can find is that they are given gas, is that right? are needles involved? are there likely to be side effects afterwards? and aside from the fasting will it be very traumatic for the little one or will he be ok? is it something that will take a few days for him to recover from? i'm sorry to ask so many questions but when i asked them for information i was told i would have it all talked through when we are there..... that's great, but i'd rather go in slightly prepared for what's coming so i'm not so shocked or upset if that makes sense.

thank you, hope all of you and your children are doing well
May 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lets see, when we had Alexis' MRI done, it was not done with gas. She had an IV put in and had a mild dose of a sedative. They had put some lidocane on her hand to numb the skin and then slipped the catheter in. She was 6 months old when hers was done. On the second one, she was going in for surgery following the MRI, so she was fully under anesthetics. As for side affects, there is a very slim chance of side effects, usually from adverse reactions to the anesthetics (either given by IV or by gas). THIS IS A VERY SLIM CHANCE. Alexis was home with us almost immediately after. Their was some recovery time to make sure the anesthetic wore off, but all in all it was about 1 1/2 hours. It usually is not traumatic for them, unless they do use IV sedation and have trouble getting the catheter in. They allowed us to stay with her until the IV drugs were given and she was falling aslepp. They then took her for her MRI and the hardest part was waiting until it was all over because you are not allowed to be in the same room where the MRI is being done there is a waiting room. And no, it is not something it should take a few days to recover from. he may be a little extra sleepy that day because of the anesthetics, but that's it.

I know its impossible not to worry, but this is really for the best in the ling run and could give you so many answers. If you have any other questions, please feel free to pm me or post them. Good luck and let us know how everything goes.
May 13th, 2008, 01:26 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
I'm not sure why your LO is going in for an MRI but I wanted to wish you lots of luck and calming vibes! My middle DD (age 5) goes in Monday afternoon for a sedated MRI to see if we can pinpoint the cause of her subclinical seizures, and I am kind of a nervous wreck, and like you have been scouring the internet to try and see what it'll really be like for her. You know this stuff is for the best and you're doing the right thing, but that doesn't make it any less scary! Big hugs!!

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
May 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wishing both of you and your LOs lots of good luck and answers with your MRIs
May 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Regular
Hi there,

This is the first time I have posted and actually found this board when searching for information on DVM. My son Ethan is three and a half months old and was diagnosed with DVM. He was five weeks early and had several problems such as apnea and reflux and was in the hospital for about the first three weeks. Anyways, we have an MRI scheduled for Friday and our pre-opp is tomorrow. I am a nervous wreck. I am worried about the actual MRI but even more so about what they might find. Does your child show any other delays or symptoms of neurological problems? Ethan has the issues with apnea and does not lift his head when on his stomach but smiles and is meeting all other milestones. I will be thinking about you and good luck and maybe we can help support each other through this tough time.
Quote:
hello, so yet again i have another question from you mummies who've been there and done that, sorry! zachariah has finally got a date for his mri, next tues (20may) i am petrified, i know i shouldn't be as it may mean we get to the bottom of it all, but i'm still a little nervous and worried.
Anyway because he's now a bigger baby at 5 months + they said they will sedate him so we have to fast for him to be there at 8.30 and then his scan is not until 11.30. i've been looking up on internet about what they do for sedation and all i can find is that they are given gas, is that right? are needles involved? are there likely to be side effects afterwards? and aside from the fasting will it be very traumatic for the little one or will he be ok? is it something that will take a few days for him to recover from? i'm sorry to ask so many questions but when i asked them for information i was told i would have it all talked through when we are there..... that's great, but i'd rather go in slightly prepared for what's coming so i'm not so shocked or upset if that makes sense.

thank you, hope all of you and your children are doing well [/b]
May 14th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Regular
thank you for all your answers and support, it's so nice to know i can go somewhere and get the imformation i struggle to find. i know the waiting will be agony (well along with the whole thing) and at the moment i've got my mum to come with me for support, hubbie is trying to get the day off work but to be honest i'm hoping he changes his mind as he's not that strong when it comes to holding it together for zachariah and i'm not sure i could cope with holding us both up

however like you say it will all be for the best otherwise it wouldn't be done, so with any luck we will get some answers now.

tpryce, how concidental, my son was actually diagnosed with dvm which is how i stumbled across this site too. at the moment he doesn't show any other signs of delays etc, although smiling took 4 months so your little one sounds like he's doing well there. if you want to compare notes feel free....

he's having the mri and will have neurological tests to see why his eyesight is the way it is, as now at almost 6 months i think dvm seems less likely... who knows it all seems to be guessing and waiting games really as everything takes so long to develop anyway.

thank you again everyone, i'm sure i'll be thinking of more to ask soon, hope you're all doing well
May 14th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Regular
just wanted to add that i really hope hurricaneranch and tpryce that the scans go well and lo's are fine through it, good luck and hugs to the both of you too

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search