New here. :D

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
kaytibear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm Kayti, proud mommy to six children. My DD Sarah has just turned 4. She's required glasses since she was a year and a half old. Her left eye muscles are weak and aren't aligned with her right. She can focus with it if forced to which is what her prescription does. Since it's been so long and it hasn't self corrected ((it's gotten better unless she's upset or tired and then there is an extremely noticable lack of control over the eye)) they want to do surgery. I have a referral to take her to the pediatric Opthamologist at Lahndstuhl Military Hospital ((The BIG military hosptial here in Europe)) so they can do it but nobody has told me what it might be. If they have I didn't catch it ((It was either after mentioning surgery or while yelling at me that her glasses were too big because the nose peices needed to be adjusted again)). I'm scared and nervous and confused but when I get int the docs office I get so overwhelmed that I just take their word at everything. Which is pretty remarkable because I don't trust docs generally. So yeah, there it is, here I am.
July 2nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome. I am Jennifer, mommy to Alexis, who was born visually impaired. She also had corrective eye surgery in Dec. of '06. Hers was to move her null point in her nystagmus to center so she didn't have to crane her head to the side to get her eyes to stop moving.

It is definately scary, but a relatively simple surgery. What they will do is correct the muscles surrounding the eye and that are used to move the eye. Depending on how bad the "lazy eye" is will depend on how much correcting they will do. They will tightenen (and possibly loosen) certain muscles which will then allow both eyes to focus and travel together. I am not sure if they will need to do both eyes, since my dd's eye muscle surgery was for slightly different reasons. But I would just check and see if its one or both eyes. I think it will be one (her left eye, the weak one), but don't quote me on it. Sometimes the dominant eye needs to have muscles loosened since it does most of the work and the muscles just get too tight.

Additionally, after the surgery, her eye will look blood red, but don't let that scare you. They do no actual work on the eye itself, just the muscles. The red is blood from the surgery to the muscle tissue, not damage to the eye. Also, her eyes will feel scratchy, like there is sand in them that she can't get out. Its rough, but don't let her rub her eyes if at all possible. I gave my dd tylenol and it really seemed to help. Also, when she comes home from the hospital, keep the lights set low. My dd had a really hard time with bright lights, and if she will wear them, sunglasses for the ride home, even if its not super sunny.

The procedure is one day. And they generally come home that same day. The only reason she would not come home is if there are serious complications, and the likelihood of that happening are very very minimal. She will be under general anesthesia, and most children do very well with it, but if you get nauseous from anesthesia, there is a possibility she might too. Though, most likely, she will come home and sleep for a good portion of the day. My dd pretty much slept through until the next day, just waking up and eating here and there. She will have to be fasted the night before, and depending on what time the surgery is scheduled will depend on what time she won't be allowed food and drink after. The fasting is to prevent vomiting during the surgery. If at all possible, schedule for as early in the morning as you can.

I hope this helps answer any of the questions you have, and if you have any other particular questions, please let me know, and I will try to answer them as best I can or find you the answer.

July 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
Just sayin HI! I don't have anything to add as she answered it perfectly! lol
July 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Regular
One thing that I have found that helped me was to write down my questions before I went in to the dr.s office. That way if needed you could just hand him the questions for him to read and answer. Good luck and I hope everything goes well. I have heard that it's a pretty simple surgery also. Take care.

July 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Regular

just saying hello too, i'd love to add my bit but i dont actually have a clue about this other than being able to relate to you as a mum with a child with visual problems. So..... hello, hope you find this site useful, i certainly have, its great to find people who know what youre going through and can give you advice/opinions/info. Good luck with everything, i'm sure sarah will be a star , thinking of you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search