Strabismus?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
**UPDATE**

We went to the Dr's last week and they told us she has it very slight in her right eye, We have an appointment scheduled w/ A.I. Dupont Children's Hospital in Wilmington, Delaware for 8/27. Usually it takes 2-3 months to get in there, and I got one scheduled in under a month! I will keep you all updated, Thanks!

Hello,

I have used this message board through my 2005 & 2007 Pregnancies, I now have a 2.5 year old and a 12 month old. My 12 month old seems to be having her right eye "turn out". Strabismus runs in my family ( My mom had it, My Grandmother, My Great Grandmother, and her Mother). My mom passed it onto myself and my 13 year old brother. I have always been vigilant in looking at my kids' eyes because of the fact. Evan, my 2.5 year old had his vision checked @ 1 year old- and there was no sign of Strabismus., I need to schedule his next appointment.

My question is my daughter, who is 12 months old, her eye turns out, could this be an infancy thing or start of strabismus? My husband did the "flashlight" test where you shine a flashlight in their eyes and the light is suppose to end up in the same area on both eyes, hers was a tiny bit off, not much but enough to worry me.

Anyone go through this? Anyone have children this young be diagnosed? Any help is very appreciated!

</div><div align="center">

</div>
July 23rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome to the board.

My dd did not have strabismus, but my understanding of it by 12 months of age, she should have control of her eye muscles and both eyes should track and move together, without one wandering. I personally would call the optho and get an appointment. Especially, if you have to have her older brother checked out as well. At least this way, you can talk to the doc and find out whether or not it is strabismus, and if it is, you can start treating it.

Sorry, I am not much more help, hopefully some of the other moms will give you a better answer.
July 23rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the reply! Ryleigh had her 12 month well visit this morning (by God's grace! She wasn't scheduled til the end of August, I scheduled too late...but, a cancellation called in and I got the spot). The Pediatrician said she does exhibit signs of strabismus in her right eye. very slight. But, she referred us to A.I. Dupont, which is in Wilmington, Delaware - about an hour from here and one of the top Children's hospitals, so that puts me at ease. I asked about what they may do and she said most likely try the patch, I sure hope that works. It takes 2-3 months to get in there, so I am waiting on them to call me now to schedule. I'll keep you all updated.

</div>
July 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am very glad that its only very early signs of strabismus, and I do believe patching is the first thing they will try. I would suggest pming samylaine about it. Her son has done a lot of patching and they have had a great success with it. She'll probably pop in later herself and respond, so you may not need to pm her.

July 23rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
I pm'd samylaine. Thanks so much! I am also glad we caught it early. So glad about that! I pray the patch helps.

</div>
August 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
Sorry it took so long I just replied!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search