Checking In

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
Nate's been sick again so that is where I have been, lol. He's been out of school a week with a wet cough... then Thursday we went to pediatrics and came home with 5 prescriptions!
He has some drainage from his sinus cavities into his lungs so they gave me a lot of meds to get that dried up quick! Thankfully they have no school on Monday anyways so he has had a lot of time to recover!
October 2nd, 2008, 07:34 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How is he feeling now? Any better?
October 3rd, 2008, 04:30 AM
sorry it took me so long.. i had to wait for the administrators to change my password because it wouldn't let me!

Nathan is better and went back to school... but his teacher called me on Tuesday...Nathan's teachers at the PPCD want to have him evaluated for OT.

He can't hold a pencil correctly yet.. he still uses that toddler death grip style? And since he can't hold a pencil or crayons he can't use scissors either... he still can't feed himself properly all the time because he has trouble holding the spoon/fork. He won't even eat cereal with milk anymore because he just can't get it to his mouth without it falling or spilling from the spoon.... He walks on his tip toes maybe 50% of the day... he can't stand in one place and jump and for that matter.. we've never seen him jump from a couch or chair or on a bed or anything either...

He's a very focused child though.. he's learned how to read at 3... he can count and do (some) simple math... he's been able to name every planet in the solar system since he was two and point them out to you in any picture or poster of them..

But his fine motor skills are just *off*.
I've worried about dyspraxia and even mild CP.
They said they have 60 days for the OT evaluation to be done... but I'm wondering if maybe I should ask our pediatrician for a referral to see a developmental pediatrician or a neurologist even?
Nathan didn't have any brain bleeds while in the NICU.. but he did go over a week where he was low on oxygen and his skin color was just horrible... so I've always wondered if anything happened to his brain development then...

So we'll see...
October 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am very glad to hear that Nathan is feeling better, but also sorry to hear about the fine motor concerns. I would probably call the neurologist at the very least and make an appt, just to make sure. I would want to rule in/out any sort of neuro problem from the low O2. Besides it can't hurt to have him evaluated by the program and by an outside Dr.
October 3rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
we have an appointment on October 14th so our pediatrician can put in a referral for us..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search