Log In Sign Up

Vision Problems...


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
October 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
AMM AMM is offline
Regular
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6
My triplets are just over a year old, but were born nearly 10 weeks premature. While they are all developing relatively normally/at the right pace for their age... my "youngest" (and also smallest) has been showing signs of vision problems. For instance, he seems to be squinting constantly... and also sits rather close to the TV. My husband has commented on this frequently, and is becoming rather worried. He is too young to vocalize whether he can see things properly or not, and he is also a TAD behind language wise compared to his brother and sister. I guess my question is this... should I be concerned? Is this something that needs immediate attention? At his last ophthalmologist appt, the doctor did not seem concerned. But, it has been a few months since his last visit.

I am unsure of where else to ask this question, and I'd like to save them an unnecessary doctor's visit if at all possible! (Anyone who has multiples KNOWS how difficult a doctor's visit can be!)

Thanks for all your help!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
October 14th, 2008, 08:09 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,336
Welcome and congrats on your triplets!

Just a couple questions for you. Does he seems to get headaches? Does he have trouble identifying objects that are farther away? Can he see things in his peripheral vision? Does he just sit close to the TV or when he is playing, scribbling, or other activities, does he bring his head very close to what he is working with?

I personally would take him and have his vision checked, at the very least, to see if he needs glasses. If there is a vision problem, it could also affect his speech development as well. Most child learn how to speak by watching our mouths work and imitating those movements, so if he has trouble seeing faces, it could be contributing to the speech delay. All that said, I don't have multiples so don't know the stress of taking them to the doc, but would it be possible to maybe get a sitter for a few hours and just take him?

HTH and if you have anymore questions, feel free to post away
__________________
<div align="center">Thanks Alison's Mommy, SillyMama, Katarina and samylaine for my blinkies.</div>
Reply With Quote
  #3  
October 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 534
I'm surprised being born premature they haven't been seeing a specialist on a regular basis? My little boy was 16 weeks early and still sees a specialist for ROP every 6-8 weeks... I have no idea *what* signs to look for though since he has been watched so closely. If they saw a doctor for ROP at any time.. I would schedule a visit for another check up.. we've been told it's a good idea for preemies to be seen every 6-12 months until their late teens for ROP.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
October 14th, 2008, 04:02 PM
AMM AMM is offline
Regular
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6
Quote:
Welcome and congrats on your triplets!

Just a couple questions for you. Does he seems to get headaches? Does he have trouble identifying objects that are farther away? Can he see things in his peripheral vision? Does he just sit close to the TV or when he is playing, scribbling, or other activities, does he bring his head very close to what he is working with?

I personally would take him and have his vision checked, at the very least, to see if he needs glasses. If there is a vision problem, it could also affect his speech development as well. Most child learn how to speak by watching our mouths work and imitating those movements, so if he has trouble seeing faces, it could be contributing to the speech delay. All that said, I don't have multiples so don't know the stress of taking them to the doc, but would it be possible to maybe get a sitter for a few hours and just take him?

HTH and if you have anymore questions, feel free to post away[/b]
Thanks for the congratulations! I never thought about a visual impairment holding back his speech.

He does tend to get headaches, especially after focusing on something for too long. He can see things in his peripheral vision as far as I can tell.

Yes, he does seem to need to be rather close to things during other activities as well. Much closer than his brother or sister. As far as identifying things, his speech is so limited, that he is really unable to name specific things (close or at a distance.)

I will make an appt with the doctor this week. Hopefully I will be able to find a sitter. It's just rough worrying about things like which stroller to take, how I'm going to get all of them through the parking structure and into the building, etc. Unfortunately, our doctor's office is in a large hospital... and going there is a bit of a pain!

Thanks for all of your advice.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
October 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM
AMM AMM is offline
Regular
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6
Quote:
I'm surprised being born premature they haven't been seeing a specialist on a regular basis? My little boy was 16 weeks early and still sees a specialist for ROP every 6-8 weeks... I have no idea *what* signs to look for though since he has been watched so closely. If they saw a doctor for ROP at any time.. I would schedule a visit for another check up.. we've been told it's a good idea for preemies to be seen every 6-12 months until their late teens for ROP.[/b]
Yes, we see a specialist regularly as well. His last visit was at the end of August during their 1 year checkup. He isn't scheduled for another checkup until mid-November. Just recently, he started showing signs of visual impairment (like I mentioned earlier... sitting close to the television, keeping things close to his face.) Things that weren't really present during his last checkup. Maybe it's his age? I am unsure if I should wait until his November appt or if this requires immediate attention. Better safe than sorry, I suppose!

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
October 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 534
I bet you could wait until the November appointment. My son is 4 and will try and sit his chair right in front of the tv, lol.. and I KNOW he can see it from further back he just likes to do it.
If nothing else.. you could try and call your doctor and ask for a telephone consult and tell them your concerns and ask if they think the appointment should be moved up!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
October 15th, 2008, 07:57 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,336
Quote:
I bet you could wait until the November appointment. My son is 4 and will try and sit his chair right in front of the tv, lol.. and I KNOW he can see it from further back he just likes to do it.
If nothing else.. you could try and call your doctor and ask for a telephone consult and tell them your concerns and ask if they think the appointment should be moved up![/b]
Oo, good idea, i didn't think about that. I just tend to be an overly paranoid mom and always try to get in ASAP if there may be a potential problem.

The headaches and sitting close to everything to see better does possibly indicate a visual impairment, though it could be as simple as needing glasses for nearsightedness.
__________________
<div align="center">Thanks Alison's Mommy, SillyMama, Katarina and samylaine for my blinkies.</div>
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0