New Here...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2008, 06:49 PM
~Coley125~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Coley125~
Hi I'm Nicole. I've been a member of JM for what seems like forever but it just occured to me today to look for this forum. My youngest just turned 10 months and she was diagnosed with CVI about 4 months ago. I really can't seem to find a whole lot of info on it it seems like it is a very rare condition that they don't seem to know much about. She is currently getting vision therepy once a week and she goes to the opthomologist every 2-3months. I'm thinking about taking her to a nuerologic opthomologist. I guess Im wondering if anyone knows anything about CVI, has a child with it, or knows anything about nuerologic opthomologists. There aren't any of those in our area so I would have to travel a considerable distance to find one Im just not sure if it would be beneficial or not. Anyway any info you could offer would be great! Thanks!
November 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
I have no experience or knowledge of it but I think someone around here might!

Welcome to the board though... it is a bit slow lately but usually just means the moms have been busy, lol.
My son is 4 and a half and has ROP (retinopathy of prematurity).
We drive to OK City ( a 2 hour drive up and back for us) every 6-8 weeks for an eye exam... he's been wearing glasses for 2 and half years now.
December 6th, 2008, 06:02 AM
bizziebeemommy's Avatar Veteran
I wish I could help you. My son has Albinism. (nystagmus/slight strabismus) I didnt realize there was a neuro opthamologist. I will have to research that in the Houston area, b/c I would love for our son to see one.

January 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Chris&Ri'sMommi's Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to Chris&Ri'sMommi Send a message via Yahoo to Chris&Ri'sMommi
I know I' really late, but I googled "CVI eyes" and came up with these sites that seem pretty informational. Hope this helps if you're still having trouble

http://www.aph.org/cvi/define.html

http://ohiolionseyeresearch.com/cortical_v..._impairment.htm
January 13th, 2009, 06:42 PM
~jenjen~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~jenjen~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~jenjen~
Hi-just a lurker here but hope I can be a little help. I don't know anything about CVI but I do know a tiny bit about neuro-opthamologists. My son had issues with his eyes so we were referred to a pediatric opthamologist. When he couldn't figure out what was wrong he referred us to the neuro-opthamologist. He diagnosed Luke with OCA-basicly he can't move his eyes side to side, and focusing is hard for him. He ordered an MRI for Luke and we found that he has hydrocephalous wich is causing the OMA.

Because I don't know anything about CVI I don't know if it would be beneficial to see one but if you aren't getting the answers you need from the doctors you are seeing it may be worth a shot to check into it. Good luck and I hope you get the answers you need.
January 25th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Veteran
Hi! My son has to see an neuro-opth for his nystagmus, there are not a lot of them around but usually the childrens/major hositals will have them. They are wonderful and have a lot to offer when it come to knowledge and treatment.

<a href="http://www.free-blinkies.com/blinkie-maker/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
Blinkie Maker</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search