Nervous

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2009, 07:09 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Last Thursday, suddenly, I noticed my 3 yr old's left eye turning in. Friday I took him to the Dr., and she referred me to an Ophthalmologist (sp?). The appt is not until next Monday. Has anyone ever had a situation where this came on suddenly? It makes me nervous that it may be a symptom of something else. Sat. he was trying to grasp things about and inch away from where they were...I'm guessing he has double vision? Sorry, I'm new to this and scared. Any insight on what may be going on would be really helpful. Also, what should I expect from his first appt?
March 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Veteran
The same thing happened with my dd very suddenly. My cousin came over the day we noticed that my dd would close one eye to look at us. At first, I thought she just had something in her eye or was trying to be funny but she was still closing one eye a week later and them the eye started turning. My dh had a lazy eye so I wasn’t too concerned. We took her to our optometrist who referred us to a pediatric ophthalmologist. The ophthalmologist did a thorough exam where she tested her vision and determined how much my dd’s eye turned (yes, they can measure that!). I was afraid it was a muscular problem that would involved surgery to correct but I was assured by many people that the surgery is fairly simple. As it turned out, her problem is not muscular in nature. The eye that was wandering had poor vision (20-100 vs 20-30 in the good eye). We got her fitted with classes and that helped but her eye would still turn so we’ve been patching her on and off since November. Her lazy eye is much improved. It’s not 100% yet but the ophthalmologist is fairly confident that she will be better by summer. It’s still possible that she could ultimately need surgery but it’s not looking that way right now (which is great!). My dd does not have depth perception which affects her vision too. The ophthalmologist is optimistic that she will develop depth perception though now that she has glasses and her vision is pretty good.

The appointment with the ophthalmologist was not a big deal for my dd other than getting drops. They had to give her 2-3 drops in each eye (1 stings a bit) so she screamed for that but was otherwise okay. She has a bunch of other visual issues that we discovered so she gets drops fairly frequently but if your child’s problem is strictly a lazy eye, you shouldn’t have to worry about drops all the time. Our ophthalmologist specializes in pediatrics which helped also since her office was set up with kids stuff.

March 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks for your response! I hope it all goes well for us on Thursday.
March 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Well he had his appt. What a nightmare. The Dr. was kind of a jerk because my son wouldn't sit still. Anyway, I'm supposed to patch his one eye for 4 hours a day, and he gave me a prescription for glasses, however, the prescription is for 2 lenses of the same strength which confuses me, wouldn't he only need one side? The place where he got his glasses called to confirm that is what he meant to prescribe and he said yes, to "balance it out"...what the heck does that mean?? Oh, and he was very concerned that this all came on so fast, so he said I need to set up an MRI to make sure there is nothing wrong in his brain. Now I feel worse than I did 2 days ago!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search