New to this board

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wanted to post to this board since my youngest son Jon has strabismus. Jon was born at 32 wks, he was very healthy only needed a little help from vapotherm for a few days.We first noticed he had problems about 3-4 months old he tilted his head and because of that his head was getting flat on one side. Finally at 9 months the Dr sent him to a neuroolgist who said his problem was due to vision. We then were referred to a eye dr. she just watched him for 6 months to see how he was doing, and told us he had a lazy eye. He was 1 1/2 when we went back and that when she put him in glasses. For the next year we patched which didn't work well, then for 6 months she did drops. Finally she told us he had strabismus in his left eye, but she didn't want to do surgery until he was 7-8 years old. I then talked to several people who said surgery is usally done at a young age, so we got a second opinion. His new Dr is so great she called the pervious Dr an idiot. Jon doesn't have a lazy eye, he's not nearsighted like the previous dr said, and his strabismus is worse than we thought. So after just 6 months of the new Dr. she has stopped drops, put him in prisms and found his left eye is extremely bad and over works, but his right eye is under working. Jon will have surgery June 22. She said she didn't like doing surgery except when there was no chance in it correcting it's self. We are hopeful his depth perception will get better my poor baby falls around so much.

I'm Tina mom to Nick,Jon and peanut due in Sept.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

March 25th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Veteran
Hello! My dd was born at 41.5 weeks and suffers from strabismus and amblyopia. We first noticed it when she was 3 (almost 4). At first, we figured it was a muscular thing since my dh had the same problem. He got it corrected through 2 surgeries when he was about 8. He was born at 32 weeks but they never mentioned that having anything to do with it. In my daughterís case, her vision was really bad in the lazy eye so she just stopped using it and became functionally blind in that eye. Luckily, she got fitted with glasses and now uses a patch so we are hopeful that will solve the problem. I donít notice a lazy eye when she has her glasses on but I do notice it when she takes them off. However, the vision in her good eye is 20-30 uncorrected and the vision in her bad eye is 20-100 uncorrected so I guess thatís normal.

Iím glad you found a better doctor!!! That is so important. We were really lucky that our optometrist referred us to a really good pediatric ophthalmologist. My daughter has a bunch of unrelated visual issues so she is also in the care of the Chief of Peds at one of the best Eye Hospitals in the country.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search