delayed visual maturation(NEW HERE)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Regular
My son was diagnosed with Visual Maturation Delay at 4 mo. He had had heart surgery at 2 months. Normal MRI, although an insult found on his pons, but still told normal result, normal EEg and normal genetics testing. He has torticollis, acid reflux and is delayed gross motor-wise.

I have had such a hard time having patience with not having any other diagnosis, yet doctors, PTs and others all telling me that he has neurological issues! I do believe VMD is a neurological issue. My hope is strengthened just this weekend when my son seems to have switched off his constant fussing and is consistently tracking and smiling! He is 6 1/2 months.

A lot of people on boards are looking for success stories. Hopefully mine will continue down that path to be one of them!

October 1st, 2007, 08:11 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
My son was diagnosed with Visual Maturation Delay at 4 mo. He had had heart surgery at 2 months. Normal MRI, although an insult found on his pons, but still told normal result, normal EEg and normal genetics testing. He has torticollis, acid reflux and is delayed gross motor-wise.

I have had such a hard time having patience with not having any other diagnosis, yet doctors, PTs and others all telling me that he has neurological issues! I do believe VMD is a neurological issue. My hope is strengthened just this weekend when my son seems to have switched off his constant fussing and is consistently tracking and smiling! He is 6 1/2 months.

A lot of people on boards are looking for success stories. Hopefully mine will continue down that path to be one of them![/b]
StaceyMB,

Thanks so much for the success story. We love to hear them. Welcome to JM and welcome to our board. I'm Jennifer, the host of VI children. We would love it if you would stick around. It is wonderful to hear your son is doing better. Keep us posted on his progress.
October 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Regular
Quote:

A lot of people on boards are looking for success stories. Hopefully mine will continue down that path to be one of them![/b]
October 6th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Regular
Quote:

So pleased for you. My thirteen week old little girl has been told she may have vmd. Was there any special exercises you carried out to stimulate her sight?thanks x
October 13th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Regular
Hiya,

I've just found this board and it's given me a little reassurance.

My son is 4 months old (12 weeks corrected - he was nearly 6 weeks early) and he's not really focussing on faces or objects. He's a big fan of windows and vending machines and can stare at them for hours and his pupils dilate properly and he's had the red-eye test but that's it.

It's been reassuring to, at the very least, find other mums in similar situations here and it's also given me hope that it's not something serious.

I've been referred to an ophthamologist - hopefully there will be some painless tests that can be run to give me more comfort.

Cheers
Vicky
October 15th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Regular
We have worked with our son by moving toys with lights and sounds from one side of his head to the other. We also hold black, white and red pictures in front of him. I hate to report that while I still see progress, his sight still seems intermittent, however he is definitely still more content.

We have worked with our son by moving toys with lights and sounds from one side of his head to the other. We also hold black, white and red pictures in front of him. I hate to report that while I still see progress, his sight still seems intermittent, however he is definitely still more content.
May 6th, 2017, 03:15 AM
HiI found this thread on Google. I know it's 10yrs old but hopefully someone sees this. My 11wk old son is displaying similar symptoms not holding his head up or tracking objects he also doesn't smile. If someone could please let me know if their children got better it'd be greatly appreciated. We start physio this week I'm hoping he'll make progress soon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search