Lazy eye and Patching help needed

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Shyflutterby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Shyflutterby Send a message via Yahoo to Shyflutterby
My DD was diagnosed with Nearsightedness, and lazy eye back in May. She's been in glasses since and just monday we were told we would need to start patching. She's 3 1/2 and does soooo well with her glasses She loves them!! Now patching on the other hand caused her to do nothing but cry hestericly for 45 mins straight. Our goal is to patch for 4 hours a day and a minimum of 2. She really can't see out of her left eye and I know that is why she had such a hard time with it. because anytime I tried to occupy her time with an activity like coloring games or TV she would just cry harder and pull at the patch. Crying and Screaming that she couldn't see. So what am I going to do!! all the things the Dr said to do to keep her occupied isn't going to work until she gets stronger in that eye. Please someone help me come up with ideas and activites to help her. I can't do this everyday it's going to kill me not to mention I started crying the minute she went to bed. I know She needs this and I will do this but I can't cry every night because of her pain and discomfort!

October 2nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
aww I am so sorr, its not going well at all. I have not had to patch since we have way different issues. BUT these are things that have been on the aphacik site (kids with cataracts that had been removed)

-empathy doll. get her a baby doll that weears glasses and put a patch on the baby as well

-take her out of the house to di, the park, chuck e cheese ect. BIG distraction not home ones

-you wear a patch too, siblings as well if she has any

-patch a teddy bear

-let her pick out her patches, they have some cool ones out there, ones she can color herself or sparkly ones ect

-rewards for patching. Go to dollar general and pick up a bunch of cheap toys, rings, coloring books, even small pieces of candy, let her choose one for every hour she wears it, set a timer so she can hear it go off

good luckf

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

October 7th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DS#2 we had that problem we ended up doing drops, it dilates one eye.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search