What tricks do you use to patch?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Offlikeapromdress
I know Im always looking for tricks to get Olivia to patch. Currently we are using the piano as a trick. She loves to play it. But we still arent getting up to 6 hours a day of patching in.

what do you guys use and how long are you to patch per day?

3 angels, and a baby due December 08!
February 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
We were told to patch for 2 hours a day. I do not get them in. The main reason being a lot of parents have told me they did it and they still ended up needing the surgery. She has been through so much that I do not want to aggrevate her unnecessarily.
February 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM
JLGrabill's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JLGrabill
We bought a special movie, and only put it on while patching. Ofcourse, Ella is younger than Olivia, so I am not sure if it would work as well.

Have you thought about patching a favorite dolly too?

February 16th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Super Mommy
Yes, at this point we have tried just about everything. We have tried movies in general, special patching movie, certain activities, money, toys, bribes. When she had her strabismus surgery they told us to wean her off tv so that she could only watch tv when she patched. We did that, but she just decided she didnt care if she watched tv. Its like she has no currency...lol. Nothing is that exciting that she would wear a patch. We have enrolled her in preschool that goes 2 half days a week and they have agreed to let us patch her while she is there. Sean is extremely against this b/c he thinks she will get made fun of. But im gonna buy her some more printed patches. And Im gonna try my hand at making a cover for the pirate kind you see at Walmart..lol. I think she will patch there b/c she loves school. So if I get 3 hrs in on those days Im already doing better than I am now..lol

February 19th, 2007, 07:35 AM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
I really think it depends alot on the kids temperament, lol. Nathan's a pretty easy going kid most of the time with a long attention span.We first started patching Nate's left eye last June, we did 2 hours a day, then 3 hours a day, then 6 hours a day, now we are back at 3 hours a day. We go in for check ups every 5 weeks right now with it. At first I just put the sticky patches on and literally followed him around the house whever he went. then I brought all of his toys into the living room and closed off the rest of the house! All bedrooms were closed so i could keep him in a confined space. We even put him in his high chair with a whole tub of whipped cream and some oreo cookies before just to ge thim to sit there, he played with it all more than he ate! Are you using the adhesive patches?
February 19th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Super Mommy
yes we are using adhesive patches. But when I was at the eye dr last I saw they had a pirats patch that they bought at walmart and then put a spongebob applique over it. Im thinking of trying to make one of those.

February 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM
We use one from the patch pals site, it cost 10$ i think and 3$ for shipping, so 13$ total. Nathan likes it and I don't have to worry about the adhesive irritating his skin now....
Have you looked at ones on the internet? I can post some links if you like?

Sammie
Here is a pic of Nate in his patch...

February 20th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Super Mommy
She doesnt wear glasses, she has an IOL.

February 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM
OIC, sorry. i thik I know of one place on the net that sells little patches for kids, here is the link for it!

http://www.goipatch.com/pages/about.html
February 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Super Mommy
those are cool. She picked out two already.

March 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Veteran
We are currently patching our five year old for stabismus. We bought it from framehuggers.com

It's an awesome site. You send them the meausrements of the glasses and they make a custom fitted patch for the glasses. It's wonderful b/c there is no stickyness on her eye. It used to kill her everytime we removed it from her eye.

Tips we are using:

letting her know that she can have a break every so often from wearing it. I let her about once every two hours for a few minutes.
March 20th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Try this website:

www.3m.com/uk/opticlude

Ive heard its very helpful

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search