My Daughter Brooke's Visual Maturation Delay

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2007, 01:37 AM
My daughter was diagnosed with Visual Maturation Delay at a little over 2 months old. The pediactric opthomalogist said she has no structrual abnormalities. Brooke is now 4 months (as of the 14th of this month) and our pediatrician is now recommending we see a Pediatric Neurologist. I am looking for some advice and experience...
1- Should we get an MRI prior to the Neurology appointment? The pediatrician said she would put in for it, but we could wait until the Neurology appointment if we want to in an effort to give her a bit more time to come around before we move forward with it. The Neurology appointment is on August 24th.
2- Does Visual Maturation Delay result in an overall delay in motor development? Brooke isn't great at tummy time. She can lift her head and move it from side to side. When I have her slightly elevated (at a slight angle = on my chest for example) she can lift up on her arms. It seems difficult to get her motivated to look up during tummy time becuase she does not respond to visual stimuli.

Brooke tracks every now and then. She is most responsive to this book I have called "You're my little Love Bug." It lights up and plays this song. She will look at the lights and tracks them across her field of vision. Not consistently, but it happens.
I am very scared, anxious, and stressed about this. Based on everything I have read, the vast majority of infants with VMD do see just fine down the road. I hope this is true for Brooke!
July 23rd, 2007, 04:28 AM

Hi

my little daughter started with delayed vision, however after undergoing further tests she has genearl development delay - no known cause as yet!

Having poor vision/delayed vision can affect motor development as there is no stimulus for the child to do things. Im sure as Brooke's vision develops, you will notice an improvement in her development. I think it would be best to get referred to a neurologist for your piece of mind really!
Once you have been seen by a neurologist, they will advice you if you need scans after assessing Brooke.
I think if by 6 months shes not fixing and following then i would advice you get Brooke checked.
Bear in mind that a childs nerve fibres ( visual) cantake up to 2 years to mature!
I would advice lots of visual stimulation to get the nerve fibres working!
Hope that helps

Sam x

July 23rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Thank you so much for your reply! I have an appointment with a ped. neurologist on the 24th of August. We may get an MRI between now and then. I also went to an appointment with a visual therapist. She is obviously a bit young for this type of thing, but the doctor gave me some different things to work with and a plan to follow (x amount of exercises x times a day). Did your daughter get an MRI? If so, was the sedation process worrisome? I can't tell you how much solace I have found in this forum. It makes me feel as if I am doing something to help my daughter in a situation where really all I can do is wait. Thanks!

Quote:
Hi

my little daughter started with delayed vision, however after undergoing further tests she has genearl development delay - no known cause as yet!

Having poor vision/delayed vision can affect motor development as there is no stimulus for the child to do things. Im sure as Brooke's vision develops, you will notice an improvement in her development. I think it would be best to get referred to a neurologist for your piece of mind really!
Once you have been seen by a neurologist, they will advice you if you need scans after assessing Brooke.
I think if by 6 months shes not fixing and following then i would advice you get Brooke checked.
Bear in mind that a childs nerve fibres ( visual) cantake up to 2 years to mature!
I would advice lots of visual stimulation to get the nerve fibres working!
Hope that helps

Sam x[/b]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search