This Doesn't Belong Here....but I need some advice?!?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello Ladies! My 6 year old Son was sent home a letter this week telling me that during the yearly school health screening (they do it for free in all the schools here in Nebraska) that on his vision exam he tested 20/40 in each eye and they want him to see an Opt.

Exactly how bad is 20/40? I have terrible vision -8.50 in each eye and my vision changed about every 6 months until I was an adult starting the 4th grade so I am surprised that his is starting so young.

We are seeing an Opt in the morning for confirmation and I *guess* treatment i.e. glasses.

Do you have any advice for me, if I can place this in a different area....please let me know!

Thanks so much for your help ladies and Happy FRIDAY!!!

October 27th, 2007, 12:34 AM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't think 20/40 is that bad... I think it means what we can see at 40 yards away he can see at 20 miles away... and anything beyond that is blurry... my son is 3 and has 20/30 in his right eye and the doctor tells me that is normal because children won't develop 20/20 until later on? But they prob want him tested to see if he needs glasses and keep an eye on him.
October 27th, 2007, 08:26 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree. 20/40 is not bad. I thought it meant that he can see at 20 feet what someone could normally see at 40 feet. But the units of measure (feet, yards, and so on could be wrong) and don't really matter. They just give you a rough idea of the difference between his sight and the sight of person with 20/20. My dd has vision of about 20/300. She is legally blind (anyone with vision of 20/200 or higher with correction is considered legally blind). I also agree that they want him to see an opth to make sure and to follow him and see if his vision changes and to determine if he needs glasses. Does he seem to get headaches, have blurred vision? A lot of times headaches and blurred vision are a result of the eye strain of trying to see clearly in the distance. On top of my dd's visual impairment (her optic nerves stopped developing in utero, so even with correction she will never be able to see very far into the distance) we recently found out she is extremely nearsighted. She is -6 in both eyes, undercorrected because all of her learning is up close and her opth didn't want to shrink that too much. She was getting headaches and had trouble focusing. Those were our first big clues. She is 5, so nearsightedness and farsightedness can start at young ages.

If you have trouble with your vision (nearsightedness or farsightedness) it is not too surprising that your son has it. It tends to be hereditary. Everyone in my mom's family (included myself and my brother) has some degree of nearsightedness. My brothers didn't happen until he was about 20 or so, but I got my first set of glasses at 7 and my mom was 5 like my dd. He may not need glasses at 20/40 (my brother was 20/40 for a good number of years but the opth didn't prescibe glasses) but some other people i know did get them at 20/40, so I don't know if its dependent on the opth.

My dd is very good with her glasses. We have a strap on them to keep them from sliding down her nose and she never takes them off. It makes the sight she does have so much more usable that she prefers to have them on. If your son does well with sunglasses, he would probably do well with glasses.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, please feel free to post them. We'll be glad to answer as best we can.
October 27th, 2007, 10:48 AM
thats what i meant, lol I typed it out wrong!
October 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks so much for the info ladies!!! We went today and the Doctor placed him in glasses +50 script. She said his eyes tested a little worse than what the school screening indicated, so next I am going to take him to the Optical center on base to get him fitted for glasses.

She only wants him wearing the glasses in the classrom but not at lunch, PE or recess but def he needs to wear them for library time. She also mentioned that his eyes were "sluggish", not exactly lazy eyes but during the exam his eyes weren't coordinated all the time at the same spot ~ I've NEVER noticed this before but it was right before my eyes during the exam.....I feel terrible that I didn't catch this.

Also she wants him to have visual therapy in the office after he receives the glasses but in the meantime she wants to work on some different things: Flashlight tag (I point a flashlight, he takes his and points it to the same place where I am pointing mine), Letter jump (using a seek/find puzzle point to different letters and move his eyes to the place I am pointing) and the final one is taking a baby block and with my hand cover up one side of the block and move it in circles occasionally taking my hand off the side he needs to look at and tell me what the letter/object is.

He is only 6 and has ADHD and ODD (for which he is medicated) so keeping these glasses on and not broken is going to be a challenge....any hints for what I should be looking for in frames and do you think I should get scratch-guard.

Thanks so much for you help ladies, I truly appreciate it!!!!!!

October 27th, 2007, 02:11 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
((((HUGS)))) I am sorry that you missed his sluggish eyes, but you're not a bad mom for it. If you don't know what you're looking for, its sometimes easy to overlook. I know with my dd, 2 other people had to point out her nystagmus (the roving eye movements) before I really noticed they were there. She was my first, so I just thought it was normal.

I would definately get either the double spring arms or a flex titanium frame. I use the double springs with my dd. What those do is they spring in when you fold the glass arms in and if the arm folds out, instead of breaking off, the arm springs out to the side and "locks" in place as if it were folded inward. Think of it like the new mirrors that they put on cars, they fold in and out, so if you hit a pole, the mirror doesn't break just folds in. The flex titanium ones are frames that bend every which way, extremely flexible and very very difficult to break. The down side is they tend to be about 60-100 dollars more expensive than just a double spring hinge set. But, with being virtually indestructable it may be worth it. Our optometrist recommended starting with the double spring hinge set to start with to see how she does and since kids at her age and your sons age tend to need new frames every year or so with how fast they grow, he said it would be a good place to start. If money is not an issue, you may just want to start with the flex titanium frames. Here (NY) the frames were about 150-175. Her double spring set were about 90. I would also recommend getting the adjustable glasses strap. I found after we added one on Alexis glasses she played with them less because they were staying in place and not sliding down her nose. She'll forget that they are there, so she just leaves them alone.

For the lenses, I would definately get the polycarbonate lenses (I think that's what they are called). They are not made of glass, are shatter resistant and scratch resistant. So if he drops them, they should be no damage.

The vision therapy will do wonders. It will help strengthen his eye muscles, improvement his tracking abilities (the ability to follow objects from place to place), and hopefully help avoid surgery. Sometimes if the lazy eye is bad enough, surgery is needed to correct it. The ideas she gave you are wonder ways to start and will be very beneficial.

PLease keep us updated and again if you have any other questions, or just need to vent, please feel free to post here or send one of us a PM.
October 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM
there are frames called easy twist and flexon that literally be bent and twisted A LOT without breaking... and they look like normally little wire glasses they might be worth it if you think he might break them... as to how to keep them on, I don't know, just explain to him that he needs to.. when my 3 year old tells me he doesn't want to wear his glasses I say okay... but no toys or anything until they go back on and he puts them on with in 5 minutes of havng *nothing* to do, lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search