Cortical Visual Impairment

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Send a message via MSN to yama1010 Send a message via Yahoo to yama1010
Hi,

My son Rishi is now almost 11 months old and he tracks objects well since he was 5 months old but his vision has not become any better than that. The doctors in Duke still think he is legally blind and that it is no longer DVM but CVI. The difference being that he will not become any better than what it is. He is globally delayed and is now like a 7 month old. He is a very big baby and wears 2T size clothes. The genetic tests are inconclusive.

Are there any others with CVI? How do you help you child? I live in Singapore so i cannot get any vision therapy. Are there any particular toys or tools that can help my baby? Some docs say that vision keeps improving till the child turns 8. Has anyone ever seen any dramatic changes in vision?

If there is any good resource page on the net on CVI please let me know.

Thanks

Yama
November 14th, 2007, 08:37 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Yama. I am Jennifer, mommy to Alexis who was born with septo-optic dysplasia.

Alexis has had vision problems since birth. One of the biggest things we use with her is lighted toys and musical toys. Anything that will capture your sons interest and allow him to interact will be very useful. Some of the things we did when Alexis was your ds's age (she's 5 now) was to use the lighted toys to help develop visual motor skills. We would place the object or toy she was highly motivated to play with in various positions on either side of her body to promote midline crossing, 2 hand exploration, transfering from hand to hand, and so on. We also used highly textured objects to help with putting objects into containers and taking them out. For picture identification, we used high contrast, brightly colored materials and books. When looking for these kinds of things, not only should it have the high contrast, it should be simple and uncluttered. Pages of books should have few pictures and not be too busy. This will help promote focus and identification without straining the vision. For body parts identification, we started with dolls. For children with VI, body part identification is easier to start on a doll and then relate it to their body.

I am very sorry that you don't have access to vision therapy. Off the top of my head, I don't know any good websites for CVI or vision therapy strategies. I will definately do some research and see if I can come up with anything. Hopefully some of the other moms here with CVI experiences will be able to give you some better ideas. I hope you stick around and enjoy posting with us.
November 15th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Send a message via MSN to yama1010 Send a message via Yahoo to yama1010
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I feel comforted that whatever you suggested I have already been doing. Rishi can pass objects from one hand to the other. Infact he can even play most of the cause and effect kind of toys himself. But he doesn't focus on anything well. It feels as if he is looking all around all the time. Is there any special thing that I can do to make him focus. Ofcourse he does focus at lights. he can spot the window in any room. But it is hard to get him to look at my face or a book.

I am hoping that some mom of child with CVI might be able to help me some more. Is there any specific toy recommendation?

Yama
November 15th, 2007, 08:29 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like he has nystagmus. What nystagmus is is roving eye movements, or jerky movements back and forth where the child does not appear focused on anything. In VI kids, the most common type of nystagmus is a searching nystagmus. What that means is the eyes are continuing to move because they are searching for something to focus on. A lot of times, as the child gets older, the nystagmus will be reduced, though in VI kids, its usually not completely eliminated. (When the child gets tired or the eyes are strained, you'll see increases in the nystagmus). What seems to help with us to get Alexis to focus on our faces or on a book, is to allow her to bring it right up close to her face. This allows her to see clearly and helps her focus. Also, her focus has improved as she's gotten older and her attention span has increased. For people, we walk right up to her, put our face at her level about 6 inches from her and wait for her to look at us. That may be something to consider trying. I know if things are too far away and she can't see them clearly, she won't focus on them.

I don't have a lot of recommendations for toys, other than take your son shopping with you and let him explore the toys in the store. You want to look for something that is highly motivating for him that has some sort of skill building quality to it. Alexis doesn't have many non-educational toys. At 5 she is still globally delayed (but there are other issues besides just the VI that are involved in her delays) and we are constitantly (sp?) looking for toys to help build her current gross motor and fine motor skills.
December 9th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Yama -
Take a look at the APH website. Google APH Cortical Visual Impairment. The website gives great tips, tools, ect. for CVI. Also, Dr. Christine Roman wrote a book entitled Cortical Visual Impairment. You can find it on amazon. There is an asian child on the front looking at a light box. It is structured for teachers of the visually impaired, but gives so much good information!!! My daughter has CVI. I recongized your name from the discussions of Delayed VIsual MAturation. Same diagnoses my daughter originally had. I posted something in there about Brooke's condition. Hope this helps!
KAdie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search