Question about 6 month old

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2007, 06:59 AM
kkhadivar
Hi all...I frequent the May07 PR, the GER board and the allergy forum. I've never posted here but have a quick question for you. My LO is 6 months and whenever he looks at anyone, he tilts his head to the side. Someone thought this had to do with his eyes. Did anyone find this with their babies, and being so young, what else can I watch for in the coming months?
November 30th, 2007, 01:18 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It may be connected to his eyes. Do you notice that they are constantly in motion and never seem to focus on one thing? How well does he track objects? How well does he focus on people and objects? Are his visual developmental milestones on par? Does he tilt his head whenever he looks at anything or is it just with people? Does he explore his environment and reach for objects?

The roving eye movements is called nystagmus. There are many types of nystagmus out there, and yes some are more serious than others, but most of the time, it is not a huge issue (although it may indicate a more serious vision problem). But what happens with the nystagmus is that there is a certain position that the child will put his eyes in that will reduce or eliminate the nystagmus allowing the child to see without the shakiness in the vision. A lot of times, when the child tries to put his eyes in this position, a face turn or head tilt will be used as well. My dd has very pronounced nystagmus with her visual impairment and had a 20 degree face turn for almost 5 years.

After you answer my questions, and he does have constant eye movements and doesn't seem to focus on objects or people, has trouble tracking, and may or may not seem behind in the visual milestones, he should be seen by an opthalmologist. If however, he does not exhibit any of these, it could just be a preferance or he is imitating someone else.

In the coming months, I would definately keep track of his developmental milestones and see how he progresses. And just keep an eye out for how he is hitting his visual milestones, how he interacts and explores his environment, and whether or not he continues with the head tilt.

If you still are concerned, a quick trip to the eye doctor will be able to determine if anything is going on with his eyes.

I hope this helps, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Please keep us posted on how your LO does.
December 1st, 2007, 11:58 AM
kkhadivar
Thank you so much for your thorough response! I really appreciate it.
I've been observing him, and his eyes aren't usually in motion. He can keep them still when focusing for quite a while. Whenever he is focusing in on a person or a toy or whatever, is when he tilts. His head is always tilted a little to the left, but when he focuses, he really tilts, almost resting it on his shoulder. He didn't track at the doctor's office the last time, but he tracks for me at home when I use something he's interested in. And he definitely reaches for things! Maybe it has to do with his neck muscles instead? Do you think it warrants a visit to the eye doctor or would you wait and observe?
December 1st, 2007, 07:05 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If your really nervous, I would set up an appointment with an pediatric eye doc. Depending on when your next appointment with his regular ped is, you may want to bring it up with his ped. I am not sure if it would be neck muscles (although it could be) because it seems so specific. If the head tilt is always present, I would be more inclined to think just neck muscles.

Personally, I would probably make an appointment with the eye doc, and have him evaluated. Knowing how much having my dd diagnosed at a young age (she was 4 months old) helped and with being able to start her therapies at 6 months (we had to wait for the evaluations and then approval before services could start) helped her, I would check it out for my own piece of mind. Most likely, nothing will be wrong, but I personally would feel more comfortable knowing either way. This way, if there is a problem, it can be diagnosed and addressed. If not, then the worst that happens is you spend an hour or 2 at the docs.

I plan on having my future children see an eye doc at an early age, because I know how important early diagnosis is. Plus, I will be paranoid. Even though the septo-optic dysplasia is not hereditary, I will still have them evaluated for my own piece of mind.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search