Please welcome Katkoota

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to VI children board. I am Jennifer, mom to Alexis, who was born with septo-optic dysplasia. She is now 5 and doing very well. It is very frustrating and scary and heartbreaking to here any sort of VI diagnosis. Alexis was diagnosed when she was 4 months old with the ONH and the SOD when she was 6 months old. I thought my life was over when she was diagnosed. But you adjust, you grieve, you pick up the pieces and you go on. Your little man will be perfect no matter what his vision turns out to be.

Is the opth. appt. this today (Feb 11) or next week, the 18th?

I hope you enjoy posting with us, and don't hesitate to post anything on your mind. We're here to help.
February 12th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Regular
Quote:
Welcome to VI children board. I am Jennifer, mom to Alexis, who was born with septo-optic dysplasia. She is now 5 and doing very well. It is very frustrating and scary and heartbreaking to here any sort of VI diagnosis. Alexis was diagnosed when she was 4 months old with the ONH and the SOD when she was 6 months old. I thought my life was over when she was diagnosed. But you adjust, you grieve, you pick up the pieces and you go on. Your little man will be perfect no matter what his vision turns out to be.

Is the opth. appt. this today (Feb 11) or next week, the 18th?

I hope you enjoy posting with us, and don't hesitate to post anything on your mind. We're here to help.[/b]
thank you, i am glad to hear that your Alexis is doing well, the appointment for zachariah is 18th feb, little nervous but at least i will be one step closer to helping my son. it's such a confusing thing as i've never heard of it before now, there's been no history of this in either mine or my husband's family so we are really wandering around in the dark with this one. it seems very hard that the whole diagnosing process is such a long waiting game with one suggestion dependant on the next few months as i am sure all of you on here have felt or are feeling. But it's nice to hear everyone is coping in the best way they can and i am sure you all have gorgeous little children that are spoilt rotten.
February 12th, 2008, 08:38 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know it was really hard for us when Alexis was first diagnosed, she is the only one in our family with vision issues (other than the typical nearsightedness that can be treated with glasses). For her, it was a freak mutation that occured at about 6 weeks gestation that caused the optic nerves to stop growing and the brain structure and endocrine anomalies. Unfortunately, I don't know to much about DVM, but the one thing I will reallyy stress is to PUSH PUSH for vision services. They are a godsend and if I am not mistaken (may just be NY regs) any child diagnosed with a vision disorder/problem will qualify for vision services, even if no delay is specifically evident. Vision therapy will help stimulate and promote visual development, and will work on visual-motor skills, and most things visually related.

Again, welcome to the board and hope you enjoy posting here (though the reasons for posting here aren't always very happy ones). Keep us posted and let us know how the appt goes next week.
February 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to hannybunny86
Welcome!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search