Opthamology Appointment!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2008, 07:06 PM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
Where to start...
First with Mr *I'm So Smart* I guess, lol.
He got in the chair and went through the process of identifying the letters on the screen. Then they got to the part where they start making them progressively smaller.
It finally got to a pretty small C that I could see fine... Nathan kept saying Umm, Umm, Umm.... so the tech says "well I guess you can't see that one huh?".. Nathan's response? "Make it bigger!"... we laughed! She said "I can't make it bigger, we are trying to see if you can tell me what the small letters are" So he says "just a minute" and then WALKS over to the screen, turns around and says "It's a C!'' So we laughed again and she told him, "well that doesn't count... we want you to tell us what the little letters are while you sit in the big blue chair" SO he walks back and sits in the chair, "It's a C !! " lol He is something else!

On to the exam... the doctor says Nathan saw 20/40 out of his left eye today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's freaking amazing! His last appointment he was at 20/60! And before that he was 20/70 for 6 months! The doctor said we made his day! lol. He's been seeing Nate since the NICU.

So the new plan is to keep patching the right eye for 2 hours a day... then go back in 9 weeks and see if he is still at 20/40. If he is then we can start tapering the patching down to 1 hour a day and then hopefully down to *maintenance* patching about 1-2 x a week.
He will still have to go to the doc at least every 6 weeks to make sure the blood vessels don't start growing abnormally from the ROP and putting pressure on the retina but this is good news! With his glasses he is at 20/40 in his left eye and 20/30 in his right now!
February 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG that is wonderful news. How excited everyone must be!!!!!! And how funny is Nathan? What he did was just way too cute. I am soo glad that the appointment went well. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he stays 20/40.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search