could I join your group?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Super Mommy
I have two children with glasses. I wil try to post some pictures soon

My son is 6yrs old and my daughter is 21/2 years old.

Chad got his glasses @ 4yrs old and Kaitlyn got hers @ 14months old.
There prescriptions are very high. My son right now has a + 9 and +9.5 prescription, and Kaitlyn has I think a +5 or +6.
The doctor has been saying if Chad continues to see the way he is now he wont be able to drive.. She want to send him for a test to see if the nerves are working correctly and full formed, which will be in Boston. I am really nervous on that because she says he will be considered legally blind at that point, if his nerves arent working. She says there is no correction surgury. Have any of you children gone for that test? She is also saying that he might need special schooling to accomidate his vision? Which I am unsure of what to do about that.

When my daughter was 4months old she was crossing her eyes still, the doctor said it want normal. SHe was also doing this thing with her eyes where her eyes were fluttering and the white were only showing. I thought she was having a seizure...very scary! But she went to a neurologist and found out that it was periodontal downgaze... which is I guess very uncommon.. The doctor had to look it up in a book.. He said she would out grow it by 6months, which she did. But her pedi. said she sould go to an eye doctor, who said she needed glasses. I got s asecond opinion because she was so young. Well she needed the m and got them @ 14mo. SHe hopefully will be ok (with driving and all) because she got her glasses early, but who knows..There father had glasses when he was a child so I think that is where the gene came from. He also had cousins who had glasses as children. I also found out that my neice (on his side) just got glasses also, she is 3.

February 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm not the moderator but I don't mind! Welcome!
February 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Welcome! I have a 16 month old Joshua who just got glasses. He has Ocular Albanism which is basically albino of the eyes. The inner portion has no color pigment. He is extremely light sensitive and the light is damaging to his eyes. Most people with this can not drive, although it is genetic and my dad has it, and he can drive, so we will see!

Welcome to the group and cant wait to hear from you some more, your daughter is beautiful!
February 29th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Regular
just saying hello, am a bit of newbie myself. my son is only 3months so we are in the early stages of getting to whats wrong but at the moment they reckon its dvm delayed visual maturation which should fix itself by 6 months, we'll see. so anyway.... hello
February 29th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Welcome! I have a 16 month old Joshua who just got glasses. He has Ocular Albanism which is basically albino of the eyes. The inner portion has no color pigment. He is extremely light sensitive and the light is damaging to his eyes. Most people with this can not drive, although it is genetic and my dad has it, and he can drive, so we will see!

Welcome to the group and cant wait to hear from you some more, your daughter is beautiful![/b]
aww thanks, that picture of her is really old though she is almost 21/2 now and she was maybe just under 1 1/2 then.. I need to undate my sig...lol..

February 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome, I am Jennifer mommy to Alexis who was born with a condition called septo-optic dysplasia. This is a condition where the optic nerves never fully develop in utero, they stop developing at 6 weeks gestation, so how much they develop is how much vision they get. She was diagnosed at 6 months with the optic nerve hypoplasia (the underdeveloped nerves) and at 8 months with the septo-optic dysplasia (the more severe form). She also has brain structure abnormalities and endocrine problems. I understand how scary it can be, hearing optic nerve damage and knowing there is nothing that can fix it. She is also severely nearsighted on top of the vision loss. Her prescription is -8 or so in both eyes. She has had glasses since this past summer. With the glasses her vision is about 20/150, so just shy of legally blind now (though she was considered legally blind until this last visit) and will probably never drive either.

I hope you enjoy posting here, can find a place where moms understand what you are going through and can vent, cry, and get get all the support you need.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search