Let's discuss glasses...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Visually Impaired Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
My son has always been great about his glasses. he is rigid and when he learns something should be a way he sticks to it. he learned right away he needs them to see properly and then refused to take them off ever. Worked for me, I let him wear them at night and in the bath.

Now when a meltdown hits though the glasses are the first thing he goes for. we have broken a billion pairs. We just replaced them tuesday, last monday before that, and the friday before that. 3 pairs in two and a half weeks. It is kind of getting a bit ridiculous.

Well now that we got his new pair all of a sudden he doesn't want to wear them. HE says superman doesn't wear glasses. he is breaking them now on purpose I think, not sure though.

So I need ideas on how to get alex back on track. I was so proud of how good he was with them I didnt expect this.

When he first got them we had a big party. we made a sign and my sister and his cousin EJ came. EJ has glasses to he is just a couple years older than Alex. They both did photos together in thier glasses and we had a big party at friendlys with our glasses. And he was happy as a clam.

Oh, and he is special needs, mentally retarded, his cognitive level is that of a 3 year old.

March 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM
samylaine's Avatar Super Mommy
Hmmm I have no idea.. lol. Nathan has always been really good with his glasses too and hasn't tried anything like that yet....
Are you doing any punishment for him breaking them? Taking something away from him or time out or anything?
March 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
No, I don't want him to resent them. And he really has no way to control his meltdowns, he is slowly improving his control over time, but to expect him to control them enough not to lash out is just to much. I guess I now need to really keep watch and make sure he hasn't started breaking them outside of meltdowns.

The last two definitly were, one was a meltdown in the car and we couldnt get them off of him at the time. and the second was in a store. But the one before that was on the school bus and I wasn't given many details.

i am just so taken aback over the sudden dislike of them.
March 28th, 2008, 12:47 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a couple of thoughts about them. How different do the new ones look from his old ones? Has his prescription been checked recently? If not, maybe his prescription needs to be adjusted? Did he help pick them out or did he not get any say? What about positive reinforcement, not necessarily a party, but you keep your glasses on for the whole day (or maybe a certain number of hours) and you get a small toy/treat/sticker, whatever. After getting 5 or 10 whatevers they get traded in for a bigger prize then as he gets back into the swing of wearing them, slowly reduce the rewards. Oh random thought, maybe he doesn't want to wear them because he doesn't want to break them again?

Also, what kind of frames do you have? I would highly recommend looking into the flex titanium frames if you haven't already. They are a bit more expensive (175 her in western new york) but you can literally twist the frames and they do not break. If you went through 3 of them in two weeks and that is the first thing he goes for, I would definately recommend getting the flex titanium ones for him. There are much much more durable and break resistant.
March 28th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Quote:
I have a couple of thoughts about them. How different do the new ones look from his old ones? Has his prescription been checked recently? If not, maybe his prescription needs to be adjusted? Did he help pick them out or did he not get any say? What about positive reinforcement, not necessarily a party, but you keep your glasses on for the whole day (or maybe a certain number of hours) and you get a small toy/treat/sticker, whatever. After getting 5 or 10 whatevers they get traded in for a bigger prize then as he gets back into the swing of wearing them, slowly reduce the rewards. Oh random thought, maybe he doesn't want to wear them because he doesn't want to break them again?

Also, what kind of frames do you have? I would highly recommend looking into the flex titanium frames if you haven't already. They are a bit more expensive (175 her in western new york) but you can literally twist the frames and they do not break. If you went through 3 of them in two weeks and that is the first thing he goes for, I would definately recommend getting the flex titanium ones for him. There are much much more durable and break resistant.[/b]
Hmm, the new ones are brown instead gold because they were out of gold, but he liked that because it was more like clark kent's glasses. LOL. His prescription does need to be readjusted, we go in at the end of the month, I hadn't even thought of that! We gave him extra computer time for wearing them, and that seems to be doing the trick, today and yesterday he seems back to his old routine. I wonder if the haivng them for 4 days then not for 2 dyas then for another 5 days etc. maybe caused some headaches for him. It is hard when they can't talk well. He still can't convey when he doesn't feel well, although he says he is sick every time we tell him something he doesnt want to hear, LOL.

He picked them out all by himself, it was so cute. He took the matter very seriously tried on a bunch of them and looked in the mirror. It was impressive, he was 3 at the time. Each time they break we have gotten the exact same pair.

We are saving up for the flexon frames now, they said it would be 169 cost for us, and the rest insurance will pay. So we figure at the end of the month when we get the new prescription we will pay for those. I just hope he transitions to them ok, he is very rigid about that type of stuff.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search