The wild ride that was Corbin's birth

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2004, 01:03 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First, I need to back up a bit. I went into labor initially with Corbin when I was 21 weeks pregnant. After 4 months of complete bedrest, I was able to walk around at 36 weeks. I thought I'd have him that same day (since my last baby was a preemie). That was only slightly true. I immediately started contracting every 3 minutes, and I dilated to 3 cm. Well, this baby had gotten himself into a precarious position, keeping him from descending into the birth canal completely. He was leaning to my right side. So I could feel his should and head digging into my hip bone adn the right side of my pelvis with each contraction. As someone who opposes medical intervention during birth unless it is absolutely necessary, I opted to just wait until he moved. At home I was on the birthing ball everyday, as well as doing pelvic rocks. I thought to do some prenatal yoga, but since I had been on complete bedrest for 4 months- I literally didn't have the physical capability to do that. This went on for 3 weeks- contracting every 3 minutes all the while. I was a grumpy girl to say the least. Finally, on May 16 I woke up at 12:30am to my water breaking; 2 short gushes, and it running all over the place on my way to the bathroom- then it stopped. My poor husband came staggering into the bathroom asking what the heck he was stepping in, lol! My contractions and the pressure immediately started picking up, and I couldn't help but vocalize through them. Jobie got the girls in the van (I had called my Dad to tell him we were dropping them off at his house). I make it out to the van between contractions (they're every 1-2 minutes; I wasn't timing them). I couldn't believe the intensity of them! We get half way to the freeway and we are stopped by the longest, slowest train known to man! I couldn't believe it. Finally, that train ends, and ANOTHER one comes in the opposite direction! That doesn't even happen in movies! At that point I start to think that we aren't going to make it to the hospital if we stop at my Dad's, so I have Jobie call and have him meet us at the hospital. We finally get on the freeway, and as we get on our exit, my legs start to shake. I think "Oh crap, I'm in transition!" We turn into the parking lot and the rest of my water breaks, and with it, my body completely takes over and starts pushing his head out. I'm screaming, this intensity and pain takes me by surprise. Jobie opens my door and I just can't move, all I can do is push, I can't help it. A security guard comes out with a wheel chair and 2 ER docs come running out. The ER doc keeps telling me to stop pushing (hello!), and tells me to get into the wheelchair. I keep saying that I can't his head is coming out over and over again (I am saying this to him as I'm pushing him, so you can imagine what my voice sounded like, lol). Finally, after what seems like 5 minutes (but was probably only 2) I can stop pushing and I some how get into the wheel chair, but I can't sit down. I was thinking that I was pooping, I lift up my dress (thank God I was wearing the one maternity sundress I own) to feel what what was going on and my hand cups the top half of
the Corbin's head. Holy crap! The ER doc tells whoever's driving the wheel chair that they are going to take me upstairs (to L&D- it's a good 5 min. walk). I start to freak out. I was so scared I was going to deliver the baby in the hallway, I keep yelling "there's no time!" I hate Drs!!! I showed him the baby's head, and they make a quick turn into the ER. I still can't believe how much pain I'm in and I'm just yelling- I think half of it was that I was so scared of delivering right there in the wheelchair. I didnt' know where I was, or where I was going, just that this baby was coming. They wheel me into an exam room with a stretcher in it, Corbin's head came out the rest of the way while I was getting on the stretcher, then I pushed the rest of him out at 1:35am. It was just crazy. I felt some relief after he was born, but I was still in a crazy amount of pain~ it turns out when delivering his shoulders I tore all the way up Anika's old scar (3rd degree)- owwwwwwwww!
The ER was chaos! One nurse was putting an IV in my arm, while another one was slapping an oxygen mask on me, and yet ANOTHER one was cutting my dress off. I looked at all of them and said, "What the heck are you doing? It's already over!" After cutting my dress off (@@), they helped me out of my bra. I told the nurse who was helping me, "if I can take my own bra off, clearly the cutting of the dress was completely unnecessay, wouldn't you say?" LOL! They weren't prepared for a baby so they didn't let me hold him right away because they were freaking out about getting a warmer @@. I wasn't worried about Corbin though, I could hear him cry from the begining, and Jobie kept telling me how pink he was. I kept saying "I'm so glad this is over" over and over again. They finally got a warmer, and put the baby in there just outside the room's door way, so I could see him. I was bleeding crazy, so they were trying to push on my uterus ( had bruises all over my lower belly!), and they started me on pitocin- oh it was awful. I kept asking them why they wanted to hurt me more, but apparently I was retaining a huge clot that wouldn't come out and it was causing me to hemmorage. I don't know how long this went on for, but it seemed like forever. I finally got the bright idea to tell them that letting me nurse would help my uterus contract~ duh~, so I finally got to hold him *tears* he's so beautiful! He starts nursing like he's teaching a class, lol. An hour later my OB comes to repair my tear, I don't know why, but it wasn't until after he had stiched me up that he tried to get that clot out. He tried with forceps, and that didn't work, so he had to reach in and get it. I've never wanted to kick anyone in the head more than I did right then. Thankfully, Jobie was some where with Corbin, he would have passed out. My Mom was with me (she wandered into the ER about 5 minutes after Corbin was born).
Anyway, My Mom's present (not that I was expecting one, lol) was to pay for a private room- thank the Lord! It was so nice to have a shower in my room, and no room mates! My Dad's present to me is to get my car detailed since my water broke all over my new seat (we hadn't even owned my van for a month yet), lol.
I know that if this had been my 1st baby, I would have thought this was the most horrible birth story ever! But since it was my 3rd, (and my 2nd child's delivery was premature and really horrible because she was so tiny and sick) this was actually pretty hilarious. I couldn't have asked for a better last birth. :clapping:

</div>
July 12th, 2004, 05:27 PM
I Heart 4x4
Only three words come to mind ... OH ... MY ... GOD.

I can hardly believe that!!! Congratulations though!!!!
July 12th, 2004, 07:45 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Ashley3303@Jul 12 2004, 04:27 PM
Only three words come to mind ... OH ... MY ... GOD.

I can hardly believe that!!! Congratulations though!!!!
I was sayingthat quite a bit too! lol

Thanks!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search