Nathan Philip's Birth 7/5/04

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2004, 02:19 PM
tig2ger4lifemommy
I had contractions from about 7 mths on. I never changed or dilated beyond maybe a 1, so they were not concerned. However, because my 1st was a preemie, I was told slightest problem and go in.

PLUS, Mister Nathan decided he wasn't going to go with the normal plan of things and turn and engage headdown, NOPE, he was going to sit with his tooshie right in my pelvic area!! This was not a comforable postion! Since Nathan was in the Breech postion, my Dr put together a plan at 34 wks. Which we were all exicted I had reached as this was when Ella was born at. So the plan was 33-36 wks, stop labor....I can't take any labor stopping drugs though(so I don't know how they planned to do it! LOL).... 36-38 wks, go ahead and do a c-section if I'm in labor, and 38 wks, July 14th, a c-section if I make it to there.

Well, I was on bedrest, which I really modifided....I had to since I couldn't get any help taking care of Ella. So I was in and out of the hospital with contractions. Finally, we hit the 4th of July weekend, the weekend before I would be 37 wks. I turned 37 wks on Monday. Well, Friday I knew I was starting labor, but having been told " you are a 1, maybe a 2, go home" sooooo many times, DH said unless your water or some other thing happens lets stay home. Well, that was all fine and dandy....but he wasn't the one in pain! By Saturday the pain had increased and I had a bottled up preasure of "I'm going to explode". He told me to lay down and see if that helped. SO I spent almost all Saturday laying down and taking what little pain reliever I could. I could not sleep Saturday night, I hurt so much, my ribs ached and I couldn't stand the pressure esp. when laying down. So I got up and walked and kept myself busy. Sunday rolled around and I spent another day laying in bed. "I AM NOT HAVING A FOURTH OF JULY BABY" to qoute my DH! I have to laugh now, because he would have if he had taken me in!

Well, the 5th finally rolled around and I was just dying! Two days laying in bed, knowing I was contracting and pain that was just increasing....no picnic! Well, I decided to take the advice I had been given before by my Dr's nurse, take a shower, it will either help the pain go away or if it is the real thing it will increase them. So I told DH, I'm going to take a shower and to stay close to help in and out(we have a garden tub/shower). So I get ready and he gets the water nice and comforable and helps me in and then walks off. I'm in maybe a minute when the next thing I know is that I am sitting on my butt in the shower. Water spraying in my face and no clue why I'm sitting! The pain was still there and still intense in fact it started to increase as I sat for a second. I called for DH, he had wondered out of voice range and when he wondered back in, I had been sitting for about 5 minutes. I was totally flustered by the fall. He helped me up, and stood there and I slowly just finished a QUICK shower. Then he helped me out and went to get the phone to call and see if they wanted me to come in because of the fall. So I get dressed, checked my bags, then head to the bathroom again. Nathan was laying on my bladder and any movement on his part sent me in there! So I go in and my mucus plug falls out into the toliet paper. I'm like...."MIKE!!!!!!" He comes with the phone, looks at me, "IS that what I think it is?" . LOL Yes, he said that! Then DH goes calls back and tells the DR, who happened to be at the hospital. He had already told DH to get me down for a check, to make sure nothing was wrong. Well, we take the 45 minute drive to the hospital and get there with our 15 mth old DD in tow. She isn't too happy about this, but hey if she could walk around the room was fine, everything was ok with her. So they hook me up and then before I sign anything or they do anything more, they checked me and said " You are certainly a 3, maybe a 4." So they went to talk to the Dr. In the meantime I get the papers to sign and such. Then the Dr walked in and he said I want to see if you are progressing and if they have you correctly measured. His response was "You are a 4 alright, maybe a even a full 5! I'll see you in surgery! This baby is coming out today!" I had told DH on the way there that the baby was coming today, DH didn't believe me but as he watched me in the van and hospital, he realized I hadn't been fooling the last couple of days. HE was now on the phone frantically looking for someone to watch our DD. His parents said they would be there but the Dr said by the time they got there an hour and half later, we would have the c-section done. The nurses had been listening and heard me ask Mike if he knew of anyone, because I really didn't want to go down alone. They offered to take her and watch her for us, which was very sweet of them! So I start signing all the paperwork for the surgery, the baby and me. Some guy came and talked to me about what would be best route for anesthia(sp?). We decided on a Spinal Epidural. So finally they say they are going to take me down. They take our DD and my DH goes to get ready also.

Down in the surgery room it was COLD! They got ready and I remember everyone talking and laughing. I was a nervous wreck! They did the epidural and it hurt!!!! Then real quick I lost the feeling from my just below my chest all the way to my toes. It was the weirdest feeling, because I could feel slight things but no pain at all. They put air boots on my legs to keep blood flowing and to prevent any clots. Then they started to lay the sheets and then they put the one up in front of me so I couldn't see what was going on. All I could do was hear what they were saying, the sounds and smells of the surgery and the country music my Dr had put on to do the surgery to. They let DH come in after they made the first cut. He held my hand but kept leaning to watch them work! Finally they got to the baby, and I heard the DR say " I got one leg out, I'm not sure how to get the rest out!". They had to wrangle his body out and quickly suction him because it was so hard to get him out! Nathan tried crying right away, but had fluid and the Dr and nurses kept telling him to wait let them get him suctioned out! LOL Then they took him to the isolette to my right and worked on cleaning some of the stuff up and asked DH if he wanted to cut the cord. He jumped up and went to do that. Well, I'm left numb and listening to the suctioning and such of the Drs. Well, they cleaned him just a little more then gave him to DH to take to me. After allowing me about 5 minutes with him, they asked if they could take him upstairs to clean up and check out. So he went and then they asked DH to leave so they could finish the clean up on me. What was weird is they used staples to do the outside incision and I could hear the gun they used each time, it was really odd to not feel them go in!

After they had done that they cleaned up everything and then sent me to recovery. I stayed in recovery as is required. They hooked up to my IV a pump of pain med and gave me a really nice button to push when I needed more. I could get more every 10 minutes. But as soon as I could they took me upstairs to be with DH. They instantly brought in Nathan and asked me if I wanted to try and nurse him. DH and I looked at each other and we knew right then it had all been worth it and it all would be worth it! The problems we had gone through and any we might face were going to be worth it!
July 26th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyand3
Great story. How big was he? DO you have any pictures yet?

Thanks for sharing!
July 26th, 2004, 05:34 PM
tig2ger4lifemommy
Quote:
Originally posted by mommyandowen@Jul 26 2004, 05:15 PM
Great story. How big was he? DO you have any pictures yet?

Thanks for sharing!
Nathan weighed 6lbs 13ozs was 19 inches long and had a full head of black hair.
July 26th, 2004, 05:45 PM
tig2ger4lifemommy
Quote:
Originally posted by tig2ger4lifemommy+Jul 26 2004, 06:34 PM-->
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-mommyandowen
Quote:
@Jul 26 2004, 05:15 PM
Great story. How big was he?* DO you have any pictures yet?

Thanks for sharing!
Nathan weighed 6lbs 13ozs was 19 inches long and had a full head of black hair.[/b]
Here is the link to his picture at the hospital website. We have two rolls of film, almost three, but haven't gotten them developed yet.

HE has a bit of a wild hair-do, they had just given him a bath and didn't bother to fix his hair. So he looks abit like a wild baby!

Nathan's picture
July 27th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I Heart 4x4
Wow, what a story! Congratulations!
September 7th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey hun! WHAT A STORY!! wow!!
September 8th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Great story. Thank you for sharing it!

I tried to look at the picture of Nathan though and got an error.
Proud mom to my little kookaburra, Alden (03/02). #2 due 06/16/05

September 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM
tig2ger4lifemommy
Quote:
Originally posted by kookaburra@Sep 8 2004, 04:33 AM
Great story. Thank you for sharing it!

I tried to look at the picture of Nathan though and got an error.
I'll Send Mandy a picture of him, as soon as I can!

I keep plan on doing Ella's Birth Story...Which was really interesting as the Drs almost missed the kid!
September 9th, 2004, 04:06 AM
zonapellucida
wow!!
September 21st, 2004, 04:39 PM
christabellz's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to christabellz Send a message via Yahoo to christabellz
Thanks for sharing your story! I loved reading it!

#1-DS 12/13/95
#2-DD 03/17/98
#3-DS-10/09/00~m/c a twin with him
#4-DS10/29/03

M/C
TWINS
12/13/94

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search