McKayla's birth story

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2004, 10:53 AM
locawith2kids
Well I went to my doctor's appointment July 9, hoping that everything was still the same with my cervix. Since I was told I had to be on bed rest because my cervix was short. Anyway while the doctor was checking me I started getting contractions. It felt like a tightening feeling around my belly, no pain. I told the doc what was happening and he told me to go upstairs to labor and delivery so that I can get monitored. Well the tightening feeling was starting to get closer and closer together. They were like 2 min apart. So they gave me a shot of steroids for the baby's lungs and made me drink like 4 cups of water all at once. The resident on call meanwhile was doing a ultrasound on me and lo and behold the baby was already head down ready to come out. They wheeled me into the high risk section of labor and delivery and they hook me up to a bag of mag. to stop the contractions. Well that didn't work because 30 minutes later I was still getting them so they gave me another bag. Well if you haven't ever been on this medicine let me tell you it's horrible. My whole body was hot, I had heat coming out my ears and nose.LOL I had to have my mom apply cold washcloths on my forehead. THe nurse hooked me up with fan....thank god, and I stayed like that for the rest of the night.

Things pretty much calmed down the next day and the docs did a vaginal ultrasound. THey pretty much told me that my water was funneling down and it was about to break. So they told me I was going to have to stay into the hospital until I give birth. They put me in a nice comfortable room with the ladies over in labor and delivery and there I stayed for 3 weeks. I was only allowed to get up to use the bathroom and shower and that was all. They started giving me two pills of Bracardia which is medicine to stop contractions. I was taking that every 4 hours. This baby wanted to come out sooner but that medicine was keeping her in because everytime I was due for my medicine I would start to get contractions again. Now these contractions were all painless, all I felt was my belly tightening up.

Well July 28 a day after my first son was born I started getting contractions again like around 11 am. It was just like before just a tightening feeling so I thought it was okay. Well boy was I wrong I started getting them every minute and the docs were surprised that I wasn't in pain but they wanted to check my cervix to see if it had changed. I was 2 cm when they checked and they started to worry. They told me they would check back in another hour to see if it would continue. Now since I was on the medication it suddenly stopped working and I started dialating. They pretty much couldn't stop me from dialating so they told me that they would have to do emergency c-section. They checked my cervix again and I was already 6 cm in only a two hour time. Still no pain and the water had not been broken yet. So they hooked me up to an IV and prepped me for a c-section. It was soo scary cuz with me only being 28 weeks I afraid something bad was going to happen to my baby. My sister rushed from her job to be with me during the c-section and she held my hand to comfort me. At 3:02 pm out came McKayla. She didn't really cry that much which made me nervous. The docs from the NICU was there waiting to take the baby away as fast as possible because of her lungs being premature they didn't know how well she would take breathing on her own. I saw her for a quick second and they took her away to the NICU.

The worst part of the c-section was after she came out. I hated the pressure that I was feeling when they were sewing up my uterus. I started to panic a little and they had to give me medicine to make me sleepy. After they were done I was sent back to my room to sleep. It was funny because the nurses were all joking that I didn't even look pregnant. After I gave birth my belly was flat like normal. But very sore. I was up and walking again the next day, visiting McKayla in the NICU. She started taking a turn for the worse two days later and I had to call my pastor so that he could pray for her at her bedside. On the day that I was being discharged she got even more worse because her lungs were really bad. They didn't have the breathing machine that she needed and she had to be taken by helicopter to another hospital that was 1 hour and a half away from home. I was by that time crying and hoping for the best, but thank God she pulled through. She is getting better little by little.

Well that's it for McKayla's birth story, sorry so long.
August 4th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyand3
Congrats Mommy! I bet you are so overjoyed to have her in your life!
August 4th, 2004, 09:13 PM
kikimama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kikimama Send a message via Yahoo to kikimama
Sorry things happend the way they did! At least she is doing well! Congrats again!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search