Joey's Birth Story - Feb 4, 2004

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
Regular
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">After being on bedrest for 11 weeks I was going crazy wanting this pregnancy to be over! I had suffered from severe pubic pain and had not been able to walk even like a normal pregnant person for weeks. We had thought the baby was coming early due to all my contractions and changing cervix starting at 27 weeks, but we had made it to 39 weeks!

My Dr had been on vacation for a week and was expecting to come home and find that I had delivered on my own. However my baby was waiting patiently for him! When I went in to that appt. my blood pressure was increased but it wasn't really a concern as I was already on bedrest. My husband, Justin, came with me to this appointment since we were getting so close to the end. He kept asking my doctor if he was going to help me alongas I had dialated another cm and was getting increasingly more and more uncomfortable as the baby had been at 0 station since 28 weeks! Talk about pressure! Finally my doctor agreed, what with my bp rising now...so he called and got me in for that night.

We left the doctor's office knowing we were going to be parents the next day and had our last 'meal' at Cracker Barrel! We then went home and made sure everything was 100% ready and tried to sleep for the remainder of the day. We were due at the hospital at 7 pm.

After a nice dinner of Oreo's and milk (sorry but this is what I craved and ate the most for the last two weeks...no wonder I gained 40 lbs!!) we walked in and my husband was promptly sent by the nurse to get me McDonald's as she said I needed real food. She then gave me a pill at around nine pm to help 'ripen' my cervix. I thought it was Cervadil but now I'm not so sure what the name was. Well, contractions started at around midnight so she called my doctor to see what he suggested as he wasn't on-call and had requested that even if I was ready to push, we call him instead of the doctor on-call. He said not to give me the next dose and see how I made it through the night. Contractions stopped...we slept.

Five am - I awoke...I was in labor but still only at 2 -2 1/2 cm dialated, the baby was still at zero station. Six am - nurses confirmed and started Pitocin per drs orders as my contractions weren't spreading apart they were right on top of each other.

Pitocin by the way...did NOTHING but make them WORSE! I would have a series of two to three contractions with a 30-45 second break than start another series. I was listening to Beethoven's Elise (I think my husband put it on repeat because the song SERIOUSLY isn't THAT long!) and moaning to concentrate through the contractions. Call me crazy but I just kept repeating to myself 'op-en' trying to get my cervix to open more...I think it worked!

7 am - my mom arrives with my step-dad with McDonald's and I promptly order them to remove that food from my room from my self hynotized state.

8 am - I finally cave and ask for a shot of something to numb the pain for a moment since my contractions still are on repeat with no breaks but 30-45 seconds. My nurse promptly brings me a shot of Fentinal which goes in my IV and knocks me out for 15-20 minutes. When I awake I only remember staring at the handrail and concentrating on 'o-pen-ing' my cervix with my moans. My mom is rubbing my back and my husband is holding my hand. My step-dad is sitting on the couch on the other side of the room watching a silent tv and listening to Beethoven's Elise over and over and over again. Occasionally he turns on the video recorder and tapes me moaning and completely oblivious to everyone else in the room.

8:45 am - My doctor arrives to break my water (which I know will make my contractions come even stronger and they are already horrible) and I ask him to please get me an epidural (I was hoping to go all natural but was having a hard time keeping myself in control with these contractions that were completely uncalled for after the hard pregnancy I'd had!). He readily agreed and ordered one straight away. He then went around on his rounds to the floor below us to see some patients who'd already delivered. He tells the nurses to keep him informed as to my progress as I have had a difficult pregnancy and he doesn't want my labor to be too hard on me. I am dialated to 4 cm and the baby is STILL at zero station.

Now, I am starting to feel these wierd urges in my lower abdomen and there are these groans coming out of my throat. I can't help but wonder if I'm dying from the inside out. The anesesiologist (sp?) arrives and promptly tells me he thinks I'm ready to push and needs to get the nurse in there immediately. My nurse comes back in at 9 am and tells me I am complete. No wonder I thought I was dying...babies can't come out of a 4 cm hole!! My body is pushing and the nurses are telling me to wait for the doctor so my husband is putting his face in mine and urging me to concentrate. I am arching my back and holding in as much as possible as I know my body hasn't stretched down there and isn't ready for that baby yet. I hear this pop and feel this pressure and I look at my mom and ask if the head has popped out. She preceeds to tell me no, covers my eyes with a washcloth and tells my husband, 'oh , the head just popped out.' I being right there ask the nurse to please help me and she comes and sits between my legs to keep her hand on my baby's head. It hasn't come out all the way, it is only crowning. I should also say that at this point my step-dad is trapped on the couch. He had assumed this birth would be like his son's which was the only other birth he'd been witness too 23 years before where the mother would get taken to a delivery room and that was NOT the case! When he noticed that people were rushing around he turned on the video camera and held it next to him on the couch. From where he was he couldn't see anything except my face and my husband's so he wasn't at risk of passing out. I had no clue he was still here...I was in my own world.

9:09 am - the doctor comes running into the room not understanding what is wrong as I was at 4 cm less than 25 minutes before when he left. I ask him immediately, 'Can I push now.' He says wait just one moment for me and I did...I arched again, out came a large groan from somewhere of which I have no clue. The next thing I know, my husband and crying, 'IT'S A BOY, IT'S A BOY, IT'S A BOY!' My pain has gone away at this point but I know this man has now gone insane because we don't know what we are having. Next thing I know the doctor places this squirmy snake with two legs and arms on my belly. At once my eyes meet with the most beautiful and all-knowing eyes I have ever seen and I know I have met my greatest accomplishment to this point. From reports of the onlookers (except my step-dad) and the video, my doctor said, 'wait just one moment for me,' turned his back away and got one glove on, started turning back putting on the second and the baby...was laying on the bed. I swear I didn't push once...I held myself away from myself so I would have this baby when the doctor told me to.

I tore all over, I was sore all over...but never pushed! It was amazing and shocking, beautiful and gross all in one. (my husband says after that mess there is never a hope of a home birth for me!)

What a beautiful day for a baby!

Jess</span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search