Isabella Ann - 4/22/09 - 7 lbs. 2 oz. 19.5 in. (22 hour Induction)

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
So I went in Tuesday morning at 5:30 am to get induced. Thankfully the hospital sets aside x amount of rooms for certain days to schedule inductions so I didn't have to worry about getting sent away. It took all of maybe 15 minutes to get checked in, up to Labor and Delivery and into a room. We were really excited and nervous, because I mean come on, how often do you get to wake up and know you are undoubtedly having a baby that day? The nurse comes in and checks me and tells me I'm 1 cm. dilated, then proceeds to draw a ton of blood and sticks me 4 times before she's able to get my IV in. They start the pitocin at about 6 am. By this time my grandmother has joined me and John in the room. We're all very excited when it seems to immediately start the contractions. About an hour after contractions start the nurse comes in to talk to me about pain medicine during delivery. I assure her that yes, I really and truly do want an epidural, that I've delivered once without it, and that is a pleasure I can do without experiencing again. So she starts asking me all these questions she needs to know including when was the last time I ate. Now, I've always ate at the very onset of labor, I can not go all day with nothing in my stomach, my metabolism doesn't allow it, but its never been an issue. So I'm honest and tell her I had a 1/2 a danish on the way to the hospital. She gets this heaven-forbid look on her face, tells me to hold on and then returns 10 minutes later with the anesthesiologist who tells me since I ate a 1/2 a freaking danish I can't have an epidural until at least 1:30, which is 7 hours away. BUT since I know I can give birth without one (just don't want to) I'm fine by that because I know I can handle the contractions. Well, they keep coming and coming, and 2 hours after they started the pit drip there's still no change in dilation. Another 2 hours, still no change, and then another 2 with still none. I've had the pit drip going with good strong painful contractions for six hours and am not anymore dilated than when I arrived. My doctor comes in and tells me they can either turn it off and send me home and I can come back next week, I can wait it out a little longer with the pit and then go home, I can have a c-section, or I can wait it out a little longer stay over night have them put some medicine on my cervix to soften it and start the pit drip all over again in the morning. I go with the last option. They turn the drip up to 30 and moniter me for another 3 hours, but still nothing. They turn everything off, let me get up, eat, shower, and move around until 8. Thirty minutes after they turn it all off the contractions have completely stopped. The nutrtionist comes in and tells me that since they won't be re-starting the procedure until 7 am the next morning that I can eat until midnight. I have John go out and get all my favorite foods and pig out until I just can not eat anymore. At 8 the nurse comes in with this thing that looks like a tampon covered in goo and tells me that this is going to soften my cervix, but shouldn't cause any contractions. She inserts it and tells me that it will get pulled out right before they start the pit drip again in the morning. About 2 hours later I'm starting to doze off when bam, I get hit with this huge painful contraction, and then as soon as the pain starts to wear off, boom, I get hit with another. Five minutes go by and then I get hit with another 2 huge ones. I let this go on for about 4 more cycles then buzz the nurse's station. They come in and hook me back up to all the moniters and check my cerix. After being stuck at 1 cm all day it has now gone up to 3. They tell me since I just ate (here we go again...) I can't have an epidural until about 5 am (good thing I didn't keep eating till midnight) but they have something else they can give me and a sleeping pill. Well the pain medicine makes me really loopy and the sleeping pill kicks in quickly, however I'm still waking up every 2 hours when the pain medicine wears off and begging the nurse to come give me more. Contractions kept up and steady until they re-started the pit at 7 at that point they just came harder and closer. However, I had stopped dilating again! Finally the nurse talked me into going ahead and getting the epidural, but since they wouldn't let John be in the room with me while getting it I made them give me more pain medicine then wait 30 minutes so it would be in full effect first. (I'm terrified of needles) It was a good thing she did because that was at 11:15, and when she checked when they finished I was 5 cm dilated. She told me they would probably be in to break my water in an hour. Fifteen minutes later I'm paging the nurse's station because I just felt this weird sensation and was pretty sure my water just broke... and it had. She said I was now 7 cm dilated and if I felt any pressure to page her. Another 15 minutes go by and I feel this same feeling I had when pregnant with Zach. Its not really a pressure to push, but like the baby is coming out anyway on its own. I call the nurse and she checks, I'm 9 cm dilated and fully effaced. She runs out of the room to call my doctor who had been called back to his office which is 45 minutes away. She comes back in and says do not push he's on his way. So I don't push, but I can feel the baby moving lower and lower, you can even see the buldge of her in my stomach area move lower. So we keep her in for almost an hour and the doctor shows up and says okay, push. I push and nothing happens. She doesn't want to come out anymore I guess. It takes another 30 minutes of pushing to finally get her head out and then she decides, nope she is ready to come out now. She basically wiggles her way out with just the littlest half hearted push by me.

Anywho, she came out as the biggest of my 3 at 7 lbs 2 oz, but the exact same length as both the boys at 19.5 in. And she was also my longest labor with a total of 22 hours worth of contractions.

Here are her first pictures:

mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search