Lindsey Madeline born May 17, 2009

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
I woke up on Saturday May 16 at 630 like usual. Elise was babbling in her crib, so I laid in bed waking up. I noticed I was having contractions that were different from BH's, and I told Jason when he woke up a couple minutes later. We just decided to go about our day because she was already 6 days late. We did our normal routine and went for a walk after Elise's morning nap. I rested at home during her afternoon nap. Then we went to my parents' for dinner around 4 to celebrate my dad's birthday, which was the next day.

When we got there, I told my parents and my sister that I thought I was in labor. My sister couldn't believe that I was there (she's 24 and has no kiddos yet). My contractions were definitely stronger, like to the point where I had to stop for just a second at the peak of them. I had a little dinner just to keep my energy up, and I then I started timing them for real. They were coming about 8 minutes apart, so we decided to leave my parents' and head to the hospital. We didn't want to wait too long because the hospital where my OB practices is an hour away. I cried as we left because Elise stood in their front door with her nosed pressed to the glass watching us leave. It was heartbreaking to know it was her last day as our only child.

The ride there wasn't too bad. As I got a contraction, I would sit and breathe. Jason was driving pretty fast even though I knew we were in no hurry and I was doing okay. We got to the hospital around 730. They hooked me up for a NST first, and I was on the monitor for 45 minutes. At that point, the contractions were coming every 3 minutes but still manageable with breathing and focusing. The midwife who was working checked me when we got there, and I was 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced. I honestly could have cried because I was SO hoping for something more than that. After an hour, she checked me again, and I was 2 cm and 90%, so she decided to admit me. I had told her that I was a week overdue and lived an hour away and wasn't leaving the hospital without a baby!

Jason and I then walked the halls of the birthing center for an hour and a half to get things moving along. It was incredibly relaxing. We went to our room and chatted with our nurse who asked if I wanted to sit on the birthing ball. I decided to do that because my legs were a little tired. I sat on it for another hour with Jason pushing on my back during contractions. The nurse asked me lots of questions as I was sitting. She put the fetal monitor on me to check her heart rate and found that it was high. So I got an IV for fluids and stayed on the monitor while on the ball. The contractions were really getting strong by now, and I was having some trouble staying focused through the whole thing. The nurse offered some Stadol (fast acting drug that just takes the edge off the contractions), and I decided to go for it. But I had to lay in bed on the monitor for the first 15 minutes after getting it to see how I and baby responded (it tends to make people loopy).

I got the Stadol around 1130, and I immediately felt so loopy! But it had no affect on my contractions because they were getting so strong and painful at that point. I remember crying to Jason about getting no relief from the drugs. At 1150, I felt something leaking, and sure enough, my water had broke. After that, the contractions were SO strong and right on top of each other. My nurse checked me around midnight, and I was 9cm and 100%. There was no option for an epidural, which I honestly was glad about. I wanted to do it on my own, and now I knew I could. They finally called the on call doctor, who took his sweet time getting there.

The hour after my water broke and before she was born is kind of a blur. I remember just telling the nurse and midwife that I was going to push. They told me not to because the doctor wasn’t there yet, but my body was pushing regardless of that. I pushed for maybe 15 minutes, and it felt so good and so bad at the same time – it felt good to move her down and out, and it hurt! I felt her head crowning and the ring of fire, and the doctor finally made it in. The midwife actually delivered her head, and the doctor did the rest. I remember saying after she was born that I felt so much better! I had one little tear that the doctor stitched up, and miss Lindsey was cleaned up quickly because there was meconium present when she was born.

Lindsey Madeline was born on Sunday, May 17th, 2009 at 12:49am after 4 hours of active labor (and 41 weeks of pregnancy). I only felt like I was in labor after sitting on the birthing ball for a while – everything before that I could handle easily. She weighed 8 pounds 1 ounce and was 19.5 inches long. She had a head of dark hair and beautiful slate blue eyes, just like her sister.

Although I did get a shot of Stadol to help manage pain, it had no effect on me, and I’m considering her birth to be a natural one. I felt every contraction, every push, everything. Even though I never imagined going totally natural, it was a truly awesome experience, and if I have more babies, I would do it natural again. The recovery was a thousand times better, but I also had an easy and uncomplicated birth. Jason, the nurses, and the midwife that I worked with were so supportive during labor that I knew I could do it.

This pregnancy and birth was totally different from Elise’s. With Elise, I had every medical intervention that I never wanted but needed, and with Lindsey, I totally let my body do what it was made to do. It was empowering to follow my body’s cues and give birth to a beautiful baby girl.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search