Gemma's Birth

Birth Stories

Share your birth story or birth announcement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I was 19 and just coming home from the marine corps when i found out I was pregnant on July 1, 2004. I had horrible morning sickness almost the whole way through.

The first ultrasound I was 11 weeks and the tech was training a new girl so they played around with the 4d ultrasound and it was the neatest thing to see a bean sized baby. They even told me they thought it was a girl.

My second ultrasound at 20 weeks the baby had its legs clenched and we didn't get to find out the sex. The baby was measuring close to schedule despite my smoking, however, and i was told the baby would be a little on the small side. I told my whole family that it was a blonde, blue eyed, girl but everyone was buying me blue. They were convinced I would have a boy.

My third ultrasound i was 36 weeks and finally I got my suspicions confirmed. It was a girl!!!! i was overjoyed. Also she was measuring a little small still. I wasn't too worried and neither were the docotors as my entire family has been in the 5.5 - 7.5 pound range.

At 27 weeks I had my first bout of preterm labor caused by a UTI. At 33 weeks and again at 35 weeks I had preterm labor. I was put on Terbutaline until I was 37 weeks to stop the contractions. Well it worked very well and next thing I knew I was 4 days overdue and scheduled for an induction.

I went to the hospital on March 13, 2005 to have an NST. It showed regular contractions that I couldn't feel. The nurse decided to check me and found I was 100% effaced and 3 cm dilated. I decided to go home and wait for my induction the next day.

I woke up the next morning and felt "off". i don't know how else to explain it. I decided to go to the hospital a bit earlier than scheduled for my induction just to see what was happening. I showed up around noon and was examined. I was 5 cm dilated. There was no going home again for me, at least not without a baby!

I walked the halls for two hours with my IV pole (I'm group B strep positive). I still felt nothing and when the nurses checked me again I was still 5 cm. Pitocin was started around 2PM. The contractions on the monitor went from regular to nothing. Very weird. Anyhow, the doctor decided the only thing to do was break my water. After quite a few tries he succeeded and I felt the worst pain I've ever experienced.

Every minute every muscle from my shoulders to my knees would clench up. I couldn't breathe and I started yelling for the epidural. The anesthesiologist arrived and got the epidural in pretty quickly and painlessly too. Almost instantly I was back to chatting and laughing. It was now around 4:30 PM.

I read a magazine for about an hour when I had a "feeling". It wasn't really a sensation or an urge to push but I looked at the nurse and said "I'm ready." She didn't believe me but checked anyway. I was 9.5 cm. They prepped the bed and got me all ready to go and I was 10 cm. I pushed a few times to get a feel for it and the nurse realized my baby was coming quickly!!! She ran for the doctor and he made it just in time to give me a small episiotomy for her 14.5 cm head. He pulled the rest of her out and laid her on my stomach. I couldn't believe how huge she looked!!!! It was 5:53 PM, less than 6 hours from walking into the hospital and less than 3 hours after breaking my water. But I was right she was blonde with blue eyes and still is to this day.

The nurses took her to be checked and she was doing great. She was 8 lbs. 10 oz. and 20 inches long. Wow were my ultrasounds wrong! We were both fine and she even gained weight the first days in the hospital. We were home very quickly and now Gemma Elizabeth is a wonderful, bright, and active 16 month old. She's still ahead in her size and her milestones. I just can't believe how easy it was. I hope the next time will be as easy!!!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search