Emotional spending/shopping therapy

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2011, 08:53 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Do you have problems with this?

I am having a really bad day and I just want to go shopping to make myself feel better. There are some things I need for the baby but I am afraid if I go right now I will waste money on stuff I don't need just because I am in the mood for some shopping therapy. I took a shower and started to get ready to just take off and get some me time but I've decided not to do it.

Dh and I had a big fight yesterday because he bought a coat for Angie that was way more money than I thought he should have spent. It was on sale 75% off but it still cost $60. It's a lady's coat. She is a big girl so I told him to look in the lady's dept but I also specifically said not to go to Penny's. I told him Meijer had coats on clearance for 50% off and to go there. So what does he do, completely ignores me and buys her a $60 coat. It's nicer than any of my coats and Angie hasn't done anything to deserve this coat. She has been totally mouthy and defiant lately. I have been pissed about this and can't let it go. It's not like I am just a cheapo but she is a kid and I could have bought all of my kids a coat at Meijer or the Goodwill for that price. He just undoes everything I do.

Anyway between this and some other things that have upset me I am just wanting to go shopping and get some stuff for me and mini moo. I decided to come over here instead of just wasting money. I hate when I get like this.

February 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is just me, but I'd take the darn coat and return it. With a baby coming up its hard for me to justify spending 60 bucks on much of anything though and returning it would likely extend the fight.

I also would just go shopping. You don't have to go anywhere expensive. Go to Goodwill, Salvation Army, consignment shops etc. Just so you can pick through things and spend lots of time out of the house. Maybe you'll find some great deals and some stuff you want/need (and yeah, sometimes we have to get the "wants" too!) and you'll get some much needed and deserved alone time. I've gone to thrift shops like that just to look around when I have absolutely no money to spend! Its worth it sometimes to get out of the house. I do emotional shop though. We budget like crazy but if I have so called permission to spend some place, I will inevitably toss another thing or two on the check out pile.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
February 6th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelen View Post
This is just me, but I'd take the darn coat and return it. With a baby coming up its hard for me to justify spending 60 bucks on much of anything though and returning it would likely extend the fight.

I also would just go shopping. You don't have to go anywhere expensive. Go to Goodwill, Salvation Army, consignment shops etc. Just so you can pick through things and spend lots of time out of the house. Maybe you'll find some great deals and some stuff you want/need (and yeah, sometimes we have to get the "wants" too!) and you'll get some much needed and deserved alone time. I've gone to thrift shops like that just to look around when I have absolutely no money to spend! Its worth it sometimes to get out of the house. I do emotional shop though. We budget like crazy but if I have so called permission to spend some place, I will inevitably toss another thing or two on the check out pile.
You make me feel better. Sometimes I think I am just a total tightwad because I know other people spend that kind of money on stuff for their kids.

I am going to take your advice. I want to get my hospital bag packed today so I am going to get a few things I NEED and then take a trip to the Goodwill to see if I can find any bargains just to have a little fun.

February 6th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been super lucky that a person at daycare has passed down tons of clothes for our DD. We have had to buy a few things but nothing real expensive. My mom went and bought her winter coats the last couple of years and I am sure she spent way more than I would have.

Right now we are set with DS clothes but I did buy something back in Oct. that were super cheap at Khol's.

I do not shop for me much at all. I would rather spend it on something else for the house, however, I will spend money on my hair that does not always fit in our budget. I do have 2 gift certificates to my hair salon so I will be using one of them soon, but getting my hair done is like the only thing I do for myself. Well, I do go to weight watchers now so that is something for me.

February 6th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post
You make me feel better. Sometimes I think I am just a total tightwad because I know other people spend that kind of money on stuff for their kids.

I am going to take your advice. I want to get my hospital bag packed today so I am going to get a few things I NEED and then take a trip to the Goodwill to see if I can find any bargains just to have a little fun.
Who knows, maybe we're both total tightwads! lol My MIL will spend that kind of money on Jacob all the time and I don't argue because that's on her, not us. DH and I personally will not though. We will hardly spend that kind of money on ourselves. You can get some pretty nice stuff on sale or second hand, why not take advantage of that!

Enjoy your shopping trip

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
February 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i used to be a big emotional shopper. now i use that energy to bargain shop

February 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Lol maybe that's why I don't feel bad about it.. I never buy anything full price. My emotional purchases are something like a "new" shirt or "new" book at a thrift store. I can't feel too bad about it when its that and I don't do it often.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
February 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Well I did some Goodwill shopping today. That was fun. I spent about $40 and got everyone 2-3 sweaters or tops, including myself and some coffee cups. I am going to try to go there one more time before mini moo gets here because I'd like to buy another sweater or two for myself.

February 6th, 2011, 05:55 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
I used to emotional shop a lot, but haven't in a while. If I do, it's usually looking for something on clearance.

I'm glad that you were able to get out for a while and find some good deals!
My beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!

February 7th, 2011, 04:47 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to be a big emotional shopper, especially before my DD was born. I do have urges every now & then, so I might "sneak" some M&Ms into the grocery cart or like Caelen said, just get out of the house and window shop.

I am glad you had a successful trip to Goodwill. You still got your therapy but didn't break the bank. Awesome.

February 7th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
Definitely. Especially right now. I'm trying to get in as much coupon-ing as I possibly can before we move to WA in 3 weeks. NO DOUBLE OR TRIPLE COUPONS!!! This is my hobby. I haven't had anything that was just for ME in over 7 years. Now I have finally found something I love and am great at, and has considerably helped our household finances, but moving to WA will just ruin everything.

So yea, I'm doing a lot of emotional bargain shopping these past few weeks. BTW, I've NEVER spent more than $15 on any single outfit or item for my kids, other than toys at Christmas. I am a total tightwad! I would FLIP if DH bought a $60 coat for DD.

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
February 7th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden View Post
Definitely. Especially right now. I'm trying to get in as much coupon-ing as I possibly can before we move to WA in 3 weeks. NO DOUBLE OR TRIPLE COUPONS!!! This is my hobby. I haven't had anything that was just for ME in over 7 years. Now I have finally found something I love and am great at, and has considerably helped our household finances, but moving to WA will just ruin everything.

So yea, I'm doing a lot of emotional bargain shopping these past few weeks. BTW, I've NEVER spent more than $15 on any single outfit or item for my kids, other than toys at Christmas. I am a total tightwad! I would FLIP if DH bought a $60 coat for DD.
Glad to hear I am not the only one.

February 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I bet you'll find your couponing niche in WA too, Aryn!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search