Buying stuff you wouldn't normally buy because you have a good coupon?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2011, 02:31 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Okay so I was reading this article on Yahoo about how being cheap can cost you more and one of the things they mentioned was buying things with coupons that you wouldn't normally buy. I feel like this is one of the big myths about couponing. I've had people say this to me before. I DO sometimes buy things I wouldn't normally buy because it's on sale and I have a coupon but to me it's not such a bad thing. I usually will splurge now and then on things I don't need anyway and this gives me an opportunity to buy things I might like to splurge on without feeling too guilty.

This week I bought refrigerated cookies because they were on sale and I had a coupon. Did I need the cookies? No. Would I have bought them if I didn't have the coupons? No. Did my kids and dh like the cookies? YEP! So to me it was a good deal even if it wasn't something I would have bought otherwise.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 14th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Veteran
The only time I buy anything I normally would not buy (and/or won't use) is if it's a money maker. Like the time I got a Touch of Grey. It was FAEB's at CVS. I purchased several things, used a $/$$ coupon, paid with EB's, and then sent in for a full refund for a MIR promotion. I made $$. Same thing for other things. Even if I won't use it, if it's something that MAKES me money, I definitely buy it... otherwise, I don't bother.
February 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
I've often heard this from people. The only time I have bought things I wouldn't use is if it makes me money, or I know someone who will use it. I stockup on things I know we will use or I know someone who will.
Our beautiful miracle baby..
Welcomed after 2 years of TTC.
February 15th, 2011, 06:42 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was guilty of this back when DH & I first got married. We'd try products we had coupons for just because we had coupons for them. It WAS a waste! But I definitely wasn't smart with money back then either.

I suppose that's also why I'm not one of the more hardcore couponers out there. I only clip/print coupons for products we already use or that we're very likely to use. I don't want to overspend like I did in the past.

February 15th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I only do if things are on sale and I know I will use it. I had a coupon for this TP at Food Lion and it was on sale so I got 4 rolls for .25. I know it will get used. I don't buy things we don't need unless it is something special for DD.

February 15th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I won't use it/eat it/give it to someone who I know will use it/need it/eat it then no, I don't. The thing is though, is that if I have a coupon for something that I normally wouldn't buy BECAUSE its expensive, that coupon will enable me to get a better price so heck yeah I'll buy it! I don't buy junk food very often, but if its something I know we like and I get a coupon for it, I'll get it.

If its something that is intriguing, I'm more open to trying it if I won't be paying full price for it. So that's another instance where I might buy things I wouldn't normally get.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
February 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the pp. It's not really about buying things you don't need or want; it's about buying things you might not normally let yourself get because of the price. There have been things I've been wanting to try, but haven't until I've had a coupon to justify the purchase.

I do not buy things I won't use.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search