Getting started with coupon printing on line?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Veteran
My husband and I are not really struggling financially--we are debt free-- but we started watching this extreme couponing show last night and were motivated to look at our spending. Our monthly income in extremely comfortable, I'm a SAHM. Looking over our food spending for the last month, though, I was STUNNED to see that we spent about $1700 total for household items, pets, and food (between the farmer's market, Whole foods, Costco, Target, and Trader Joes.

Our pets cost us about $400 a month--our Newfoundland puppy is on a special diet, is insured against injury and illness, has to be groomed once a month (at least), we have a cat who needs the house to be filled with hormones to not pee on our stuff, cat litter, cat food, etc.

I'd say we spend $300 a month on stuff like cleaning supplies, feminine products, toilet paper, and personal hygiene.

The rest is food--organic and free range whole foods. We don't usually buy processed foods--with the exception of Wheat Thins... I can't give up my Wheat Thins--but I do buy them at Costco! We shop Costco for fruits and veggies when they have organic. Chickens, beef, eggs come from there, as well... whenever they have organic.

Two weeks ago Whole Foods had whole organic free range chickens for $1.69 a pound, so I bought 8. They cut up six and butterflied 2. I broke them up into 17 meal packets. The total for the 8 chickens was $38. They also had 4 cup boxes of organic stock for $1. I bought 20.

I felt like I'd beat the system!

So, I do watch for stuff to be on sale. That being said--I just buy what I want, and it's just so much money that I could probably cut back a bit--without really cutting back on how healthfully we eat, right?

Okay, so today I looked for this product that I buy every month. The package is $4.79 at Target. They always print out a $1 coupon whenever I buy them--and I have never saved or used the coupon. Well, after yesterday's show, I googled the product and 'printable coupon'. I found that they had a $2.50 coupon to print on their own site!

$4.79-$1-$2.50= $1.49! And that's when they're NOT ON SALE for $3.79 which they frequently are.

So, I got all excited, and looked around, and I keep finding all these coupon sites that want me to download some kind of bar or something on my computer. I'm leery of these sites. Can anyone tell me how to get started with these sites--like, which ones you're most comfortable using?

Please excuse typos as most of my posts are made on my iPhone while nursing my toddler. Yup--I practice self weaning.

March 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Coupons.com Redplum.com and smartsource.com are the ones I use. You can also stack them with target coupons and walgreens coupons, (those are the ones in my area that stack, no cvs) but it doesn't sound like you do that anyway. I am far from an expert, and not sure how much I can help you because I just buy whatever is cheap lol.

I have to say that I DISLIKE redplum. I have a lot of problems with printing from them. I'll print one thing then go back to get another of the coupon and it says I don't have the coupon printer installed? HUH? I JUST printed one! lol Clearing cookies helps sometimes, but sometimes not. Just FYI.

March 11th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
Coupons.com Redplum.com and smartsource.com are the ones I use. You can also stack them with target coupons and walgreens coupons, (those are the ones in my area that stack, no cvs) but it doesn't sound like you do that anyway. I am far from an expert, and not sure how much I can help you because I just buy whatever is cheap lol.

I have to say that I DISLIKE redplum. I have a lot of problems with printing from them. I'll print one thing then go back to get another of the coupon and it says I don't have the coupon printer installed? HUH? I JUST printed one! lol Clearing cookies helps sometimes, but sometimes not. Just FYI.
Thanks, Beth.. I'll look at coupons.com and smartsource.

Your kids are gorgeous!

Please excuse typos as most of my posts are made on my iPhone while nursing my toddler. Yup--I practice self weaning.

March 11th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks! Yours too, and your 'puppy' is huge! lol

March 11th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Veteran
Yeah.. he's GINORMOUS!

He's 10 months old--and weighed in at 120 lbs yesterday.

He will likely gain another 30-40 lbs and 4-5 more inches at the shoulder before he's full grown.

My daughter is 36 inches tall... so is he. It's crazy!

March 12th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Luv2Laugh's Avatar Frugalicious mama!
Oh my! Do you have any stores like rite Aid, Walgreens or CVS? Those are the best for stocking up on personal items. I rarely pay for deodorant, body wash, pads/tampons, tooth brushes and so on. The whole idea with stock piling is you only buy it when it's on sale.
The pasta in Extreme Coup. is an example. I have probably 12 boxes of pasta that I got all for free. When the next "sale" comes up, I will pair up with coupons to get more free. I've even given some away because we aren't huge pasta eaters here.
Facebook is a great tool for printing coupons too. Many companies do promos and give you coupons on their page.

Google Hotcouponworld and look for forums. They have a ton of stores that do match ups. Each week people will post the deals for that week. Only the best deals will really be listed, although others will be here and there.
Personally, I buy 6 papers a week to get the most bang out of my buck. Many sales are based on multiple items. (4 boxes of cereal for 6.00 and so on) By having multiple coupons, you are able to maximize your deals.
Where do you live?

March 12th, 2011, 06:16 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK, first I have to say that I am in love with your dog! I adore big dogs and yours is just gorgeous!!! And your girls are adorable.

I do the same as Beth - print from coupons.com and smartsource.com. I'm not a fan of the redplum site either. I also check out manufacturer's websites to see if they have any printable coupons available. Not sure what types of household items/toiletries you tend to buy, but P&G products always seem to have coupons available, will send you free samples & coupons in the mail, etc.

March 12th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I can say the one benefit to redplum is they put the best target store coupons on there (for my area anyway) so if there is something that I'm told can be paired I just go there instead of browsing the target 15+ pages.. and then spend 30 minutes cussing at my computer LOL

March 12th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran
The products I buy all the time are toilet paper, flushable wipes, toothbrushes (I replace them monthly), clinical strength deodorant, summer's eve feminine wash, neutrogena face and body washes, Tom's of Maine toothpaste, Oust, Tigi catwalk Curls Rock products. Our hand soap, dish soap, and all purpose cleaners are made by JR Watkins. We use Seventh Generation laundry detergent--but are open to other free and clear products.

We do eat pasta that isn't organic because I haven't found one that I like as much as Barilla products--which are always on sale. The food items we always have stocked in our kitchen include kidney and black beans, assorted canned tomato products, coconut milk, chicken stock/broth, canned green beans, couscous, bread crumbs, onion soup mix (for meatloaf), Oroweat English muffins, nuts, dried lentils, etc.

In the fridge we have eggs, milk, and butter--Costco has reasonable prices on those organics. I stock up on 6-9 lbs when they have butter--at $2.50 a lb instead of $6-7 at whole foods. I go to the Farmer's market in the last hour sometimes and get huge discounts on strawberries, lettuce, etc. We do eat a lot of produce, so I try my best to get a good amount there, because it's better for the farmer. But as a consequence, probably 20% goes to waste. *sigh*

I guess I've always just thought those thing were never on sale or came with a discount.

I did find that organic valley has a website with coupons--so I signed up for that last night. I'll look around some more next week, though.

My husband and I are taking our first vacation without the kids--ever, this weekend.

Wish me luck!

March 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids2cats1dog View Post
Yeah.. he's GINORMOUS!

He's 10 months old--and weighed in at 120 lbs yesterday.

He will likely gain another 30-40 lbs and 4-5 more inches at the shoulder before he's full grown.

My daughter is 36 inches tall... so is he. It's crazy!
Lol I love the "puppy." We had a newf for a while and ended up having to give him away when we moved to a smaller living space. It just wasn't good for him. Luckily we found someone with the space and they had another newf for him to be around. That dog was as big as a horse and ate like one too! haha

I don't know what foods you use for either of your pets, but look into which manufacturer makes them. I know P&G has been running lots of IAMS coupons and things like that. Sometimes you can hit specials with food supply stores in your area too. Or if you can get it through Amazon, it might be worth your while to get Amazon Prime which could get you some discounts and get you free shipping on the items.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
March 13th, 2011, 01:54 AM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
Hello!

For toilet paper, feminine products, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner.. items like that, I usually get at CVS or Walgreens for free. I rarely pay for them, and I stockpile what I have space for. I would also advise looking at afullcup or hotcouponworld for coupons match ups. It really helps how they lay it all out for you, what is on sale and what coupons to use.

You can combine manufacturer's coupons with store coupons at most places.

I've found that writing or calling some companies and letting them know when you don't like a product, something was wrong with it, complimenting them, asking for coupons - That a lot of companies will send you coupons to help.
Our beautiful miracle baby..
Welcomed after 2 years of TTC.
March 13th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighgurl View Post
Hello!

For toilet paper, feminine products, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner.. items like that, I usually get at CVS or Walgreens for free. I rarely pay for them, and I stockpile what I have space for. I would also advise looking at afullcup or hotcouponworld for coupons match ups. It really helps how they lay it all out for you, what is on sale and what coupons to use.

You can combine manufacturer's coupons with store coupons at most places.

I've found that writing or calling some companies and letting them know when you don't like a product, something was wrong with it, complimenting them, asking for coupons - That a lot of companies will send you coupons to help.
LOL is it bad that I did that 3x in the past 2 weeks? They were honest complaints though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search