I'm back!! WA state is great--savings not so much.

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
Phew. We just got our internet router in the mail 2 days ago so I've been itching to get on but haven't been able to. The 6 day drive from Houston to Seattle was amazing. Both kids and the dog were great! I couldnt have asked for better behavior from them. We saw a lot of beautiful scenery and were able to visit the Garden of The Gods in CO Springs with our family.

Unfortunately, the plan to do this trip frugally did NOT work. We were so crammed in our Honda CIVIC that we ended up having no room for our cooler. So we had to stop and eat each time.

Well now we're here and I'm really missing the Texas deals. There is a Fred Meyer (A Kroger store), QFC (Kroger Store), Safeway, and TOP food and drug. There's also a super Target. As far as I can tell from searching online, I can't find ANY savings blogs or coupon/grocery websites for matchups anywhere near my area. I'm on my own! It's going to be hard. I've ordered 2 months worth of the inserts I've missed throughout all of this and I'm getting back in to the swing of things, but it's going to take some time. They have Rite Aids here, and apparently a WAGS 15 miles away, but I'm not traveling that far when the other 4 are within a 2 mile radius.

Grocery prices aren't outrageous for the most part, but ground beef (a staple in our house--Texas Chili!) is an average of $3.60/lb. I'm used to paying only $2/lb and even less. It's also very hard to find. Produce is great though. The organic and natural options are HUGE HUGE HUGE here. It's astounding. So many more choices than what I'm used to.

Our apartment is CRAP. We're paying $1200 to live 2 exits away from work and save gas (we're sharing a car again) and it's supposed to be an upgraded unit with luxury additions and the place looks like my 2 and 5 year old put it together. That's what I get for leasing an apartment online 2300 miles away. We're certainly not staying here when the lease is up.

Financially, things are going to be very tough for us here until DH gets his first raise, but that's estimated to be within 3-5 months and it will be a $20K pay increase. So for 6 months or so, we're getting rid of cable and all my phone features (didn't need them anyways), and may be going down to a Go-Phone (pay as you go). I switched our car insurance again (switched in January from Nationwide) from 21st to Farmers and saved $100 a month!!

One great piece of unexpected news yesterday is that we're getting ALL of our money from our previous apartment back! $650! I honestly don't even know where they came up with that money, but oh well. We worked hard to paint and clean the place. We didn't actually expect to get anything back though. Apartments are notorious for keeping deposits. So that was very welcome news!

Anyways, please lend any thoughts/prayers/good vibes our way for a quick promotion! All the supervisors have said he's the best they've hired in a long time, so we're not worried, but the quicker the better!

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
March 25th, 2011, 08:50 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
I'm so glad to see you back around! I was wondering how you and your family were settling in your new place!

Sorry to hear that your apartment isn't what you hoped for, though! Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!!!
Our beautiful miracle baby..
Welcomed after 2 years of TTC.
March 26th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Luv2Laugh's Avatar Frugalicious mama!
Welcome back! Hang in there, hopefully there are many better things to come!

March 26th, 2011, 09:33 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Just a lurker here, I live in the pacific NW too and there are a few savings websites out there, Thrifty and Thriving is a great site based out of WA state (she also happens to be a big Target fan) another one is Frugal Living NW ? Be content . Spend wisely . Give generously . Leave a legacy. As for produce, local farmers markets are fantastic here and most have already started up for the season. Good Luck!

March 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
Thanks SO much ladies!!! Ashleigh, it's GREAT to be back here!

tundrababy - Thanks for those links! I was just about to update this post because I found 2 blogs for my area after some more in depth searching. I've bookmarked them all.

Mary - Thank you.

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
March 27th, 2011, 05:15 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome back! Sounds like things are moving in the right direction - despite the apartment - and you all have a good plan to stay frugal in the meantime. You rock. Definitely glad to have you back!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search