Cheap snacks?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you feed your kids for snack that is cheap?

If you buy popcorn kernels and oil and make it in a pan at home, that's pretty cheap. It's around 1.00 at Sav-a-lot for a bag of kernels.

I got 4 boxes of 2 pkg kellogs bar things from target for 2.00 (had 4 50 C off coupons and they are in the 1.00 section)

I also got a really good deal on chex mix/ bugles. They were 3/4 at walgreens and there was a $4 off 4 coupon so I got 8 bags for 2.67. Otherwise that would be just a very occasional treat. (name brand stuff)

Any other ideas? Fruit/veggies are so expensive to do every day, and goldfish etc are also very expensive.

March 27th, 2011, 04:17 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
take a tortilla, smear it with PB and then place a banana on it, roll it up, then cut into 1 inch pieces, banana sushi
Baked chickpeas are delicious, seasoned nicely. Nice and crunchy.
I make muffins and sweat breads (banana bread, zuchinni bread, pumpkin bread, etc).
we mostly do fruit for snacks though.

DD likes goldfish, and I stock up when they are on sale for $1/bag.

March 27th, 2011, 04:38 PM
How do you bake chickpeas? That sounds interesting!

March 28th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Luv2Laugh's Avatar Frugalicious mama!
I buy snacks when on sale and stock pile things like fruit snacks, granola bars, popcorn I usually get for free or 10 cents a box. I will sometimes "splurge" and buy snack cakes like little debbie etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
What do you feed your kids for snack that is cheap?

If you buy popcorn kernels and oil and make it in a pan at home, that's pretty cheap. It's around 1.00 at Sav-a-lot for a bag of kernels.

I got 4 boxes of 2 pkg kellogs bar things from target for 2.00 (had 4 50 C off coupons and they are in the 1.00 section)

I also got a really good deal on chex mix/ bugles. They were 3/4 at walgreens and there was a $4 off 4 coupon so I got 8 bags for 2.67. Otherwise that would be just a very occasional treat. (name brand stuff)

Any other ideas? Fruit/veggies are so expensive to do every day, and goldfish etc are also very expensive.

March 28th, 2011, 04:59 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I stock up on goldfish when they're on sale for $1 or less. We do a lot of fruit (whatever's on sale that week, and we always have bananas in the house), yogurt w/ homemade granola, graham crackers, applesauce. I tend to bake something each week as well, whether it's muffins, cookies, banana bread, etc.

March 28th, 2011, 05:15 AM
You ladies should make a post and share some of your cheap baked recipes with me, like breads etc. I stay home there's no reason I can't bake Well except for the fact I only have 2 bread loaf pans.

I have a problem with Sebastian being really picky. He'll eat (for snack) crackers or any type, bananas, grapes, any type of cookie/wafer, and that's about it. Hell half the time he eats that stuff for supper too!

March 28th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I make snacks at home - usually baked goods. Simple recipes will almost always be cheaper than storebought goodies. The fancier things you make, the more expensive they are, but your standard chocolate chip, peanut butter, snickerdoodle cookies can be fairly cheap - especially if you stock up on butter, flour and sugar when it's on sale. Flour and butter can be put in the freezer to keep it longer. We always have popcorn in the house, and we just buy kernels. We live close to Amish areas, and their stores have very cheap kernels.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
March 28th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
We do a lot of baking, but I stock on when I find great deals on name brand snacks. We always keep fruits and veggies in the house too, regardless of the sales. My kids love apples and PB!

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
March 28th, 2011, 11:44 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are a fruit kick right now. We also have granola bars, but there is discounted grocery store by us where we can get it for 99cents for a box of 6.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 30th, 2011, 03:47 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We snack on a lot of fruit, and we bake a lot, but I also stock up when I see a really good deal.
March 30th, 2011, 09:23 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
We eat a lot of fruit for snacks. DD has been loving all different fruit lately. I usually get what is on sale that week, but always have bananas and apples. I also bake a lot, so we eat a lot of different breads and muffins.
Our beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!
Check out what I'm selling! Lots of baby/toddler things!

March 31st, 2011, 02:06 PM
momtothe3rdpower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Big on BANANAS! Also, bags of apple tend to be cheap, and anything I can pick from my garden. I also love to make banana bread, hard boiled eggs, pb and j sandwiches. Yogurt is ALWAYS in our fridge too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search