What is your grocery budget?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2011, 12:34 AM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
What is your grocery budget like?
Our beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!
Check out what I'm selling! Lots of baby/toddler things!

March 29th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Luv2Laugh's Avatar Frugalicious mama!
I don't have a stated amt since I stockpile and only buy what's on sale etc. How about you?

March 29th, 2011, 05:24 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
$100 per week. At the beginning of each month, I withdraw $400-500 in cash (depending on how many Mondays there are - my shopping days) and that's my grocery budget for the month. It includes dog food, toiletries, cleaners, etc.

March 29th, 2011, 05:35 AM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
$400 a month. I usually spend $70-$120 a week depending on how low I let my stockpiles get.

Forever remembering your smiling face.
March 29th, 2011, 05:38 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
$100-125/week.

March 29th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Our budget is $350 a month, including cleaning, toiletries, laundry, etc.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
March 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Veteran
I don't budget at the moment... but I try not to spend too much. I am currently spending about 300 to 350 a month on food and about 30-40 on stockpile stuff like diapers, deodorants, toothpaste, toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, napkins, etc.
March 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Veteran
Ack. We spend about $1000 a month between Whole Foods, Costco, Trader Joe's and Target. That includes everything, though. I'd say we spend $750 a month on food.

Please excuse typos as most of my posts are made on my iPhone while nursing my toddler. Yup--I practice self weaning.

March 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Luv2Laugh's Avatar Frugalicious mama!
That's insane lol

March 29th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Laugh View Post
That's insane lol
I know, I know! My goal right now is to use the foods we have to plan meals, then only buy the foods we needs to complete those meals!

In my freezer I have a butterflied organic chicken, three individual pounds of organic ground beef, two packs of free range pork chops, three packs of 3-4 organic chicken thighs to be used for BBQ or tikka, and three pounds of organic bacon. Surely I can use the cans of tomatoes, tomato paste, coconut milk, pasta sauce, pasta, couscous, etc to make meals that I only have to supplement with fresh produce.

Tonight, for instance, I made Cuban style black beans, white rice, sour cream, cheese, grilled bell peppers, and fresh tortillas (Costco sells them raw), and pineapple salsa. ALL out of the fridge and pantry! I was so proud of myself!

Of course, that was a rare occasion that my husband didn't fuss about being meat free.

Also--our monthly take home is well over $6000 (after college, retirement, and insurance for everyone--including the dog!). So it's really subjective.

After I use up the stuff we have, though, my goal is to just shop for three days of meals--and stick to it, so I stop throwing away so much food! I don't doubt that is part of our waste!

Please excuse typos as most of my posts are made on my iPhone while nursing my toddler. Yup--I practice self weaning.

March 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're a family of 5.

I'm spending approx:
$360/mo on food
$60ish on diapers & all household supplies
$80/mo on alcohol & tobacco
=$500/mo total

March 30th, 2011, 04:18 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We're a family of four (and one on the way, he/she doesn't eat yet, but Mama eats more because of it lol), plus 3 cats.. Our grocery budget is about $400/month including diapers and cat food.
March 30th, 2011, 07:11 AM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we dont have one. honestly when we go shopping we just throw whatever we want in the cart and guess how much we spent before being rung up. i have never been like this at all until being with dh. but i am putting my foot down now. i hate that money is being thrown around and nothing is going in savings. i am in process of figuring out how much we actually need for food and going to stick to a budget on everything.

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
March 30th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprylLynn View Post
we dont have one. honestly when we go shopping we just throw whatever we want in the cart and guess how much we spent before being rung up. i have never been like this at all until being with dh. but i am putting my foot down now. i hate that money is being thrown around and nothing is going in savings. i am in process of figuring out how much we actually need for food and going to stick to a budget on everything.
You and me, both!

I'm relatively new here... but it's nice to see someone in the same boat.

March 30th, 2011, 07:32 AM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm the opposite-- I carry pen and paper with me when I shop so I know exactly how much I'm spending.

My budget isn't too strict. Sometimes I need to take advantage of a stock-up price or use multiple coupons when they are expiring so my budget varies from week to week. But I generally like to stay around $100 a week, which includes pet supplies, cleaning, HBA, etc.
March 30th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
gctattoo

I try to stay around $100 a week, or $400 a month and under. It used to be much lower (like $50 a week) but with it being much harder to coupon up here, my budget is higher. Thankfully I have a full stockpile of toiletries, so that helps. This includes diapers, dog food, etc.

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
March 30th, 2011, 08:33 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
200$ a pay period, so roughly 400$ a month on dog food, groceries, toiletries, and any other household stuff.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 30th, 2011, 09:44 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
About $75 a week which includes food, toiletries, dog food... I stockpile, so it depends on if I'm stockpiling anything that week, or just getting fresh veggies/fruit/...
Our beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!
Check out what I'm selling! Lots of baby/toddler things!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search