How many diapers should I get?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Veteran
You would think that since I'm having my 3rd baby, I'd know this by now. But this is the kind of stuff you forget each time So my question is, since I'm trying to take advantage of sales and stock up as much as possible on diapers now, how many should I buy of each of the smaller sizes?

My babies tend to be just over 6 lbs when born. They're not real big.

What I have:

Newborn:
2 packs

Size 1-2 (up to 15 lbs):
3 boxes

Size 2 (12-18 lbs):
3 jumbo packs (after I go to Target this week)

February 12th, 2007, 08:36 AM
CBMS
I wasn't real sure about this either. But I hadn't done the baby thing for seven years!

I can tell you what I had, and then ended up having to buy even more... (my baby was 6 lb 14 oz)

I had three packs of newborn
2 supermega packs size 1 (ended up buying a few more jumbo packs)
2 supermega packs of 2's (ended up buying countless more size 2 jumbo packs, and one case)
2 cases of 3's (plus seveal jumbo packs, and I've since purchased two more cases, since she's just made it to the 18 # mark!)
2 cases of 4's... I finally broke down and sold those to get the cases of 3's... since she's a little peanut.

Anyway... I knew there was one size that my babies were in for a long time, and I'm pretty sure it's the 3's... If I were you, I'd buy a couple cases of those, and a few more packs or one case of 2's... I don't know if you want any 4's or not? If you also want to stock up on those, I'd go easy--you may end up like me and not need them!
February 12th, 2007, 09:34 AM
paganempath
I wouldn't buy any more of the newborn size. If the baby is still not big enough for 1's when you run out, they have the swaddlers for the inbetween size. When it comes to size 2's, I ended up using probably 20 packages or more. We just used up the last of our size 2's and Alisha turned 6 months today. She was in them for several months. Size 3's will probably be about the same since she's barely 15 lbs. now and they go up to 28 lbs. So I think you are pretty safe buying alot of 1's & 2's.
February 12th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Veteran
Ok, I think I got it.

I'll get a few more packs/a case of size 2. Then I'll concentrate on more 3's.

As for 4's, I'm going to wait. With my first DD I used them, but my second is a little peanut and we only used a few packs before moving into pullups. I figure I'll have plenty of time to get stocked up on sales with 4's once I have a better size of the baby.

Thanks!!

February 12th, 2007, 09:44 AM
CBMS
Quote:
I wouldn't buy any more of the newborn size. If the baby is still not big enough for 1's when you run out, they have the swaddlers for the inbetween size. When it comes to size 2's, I ended up using probably 20 packages or more. We just used up the last of our size 2's and Alisha turned 6 months today. She was in them for several months. Size 3's will probably be about the same since she's barely 15 lbs. now and they go up to 28 lbs. So I think you are pretty safe buying alot of 1's & 2's. [/b]

Maddie was in the weight limit for 2's, but couldn't wear them anymore... so that's an issue too. A baby with skinny little legs will be fine, but Maddie has short fat little legs, and they started to gape some at the tooshie and leak, so we had to move to 3's well before she was 16 lbs. She had to get into the 3's at about 4 months or so... even though she was still a tiny little thing.

The weights are guidelines, not rules. They don't account for some babies being shaped really funny like Maddie. She can still wear size 0-3 month pants b/c her legs are so short and her tummy is so thin, but her little thighs are huge, so she wears size 3 diapers!
February 12th, 2007, 11:06 AM
paganempath
Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't buy any more of the newborn size. If the baby is still not big enough for 1's when you run out, they have the swaddlers for the inbetween size. When it comes to size 2's, I ended up using probably 20 packages or more. We just used up the last of our size 2's and Alisha turned 6 months today. She was in them for several months. Size 3's will probably be about the same since she's barely 15 lbs. now and they go up to 28 lbs. So I think you are pretty safe buying alot of 1's & 2's. [/b]

Maddie was in the weight limit for 2's, but couldn't wear them anymore... so that's an issue too. A baby with skinny little legs will be fine, but Maddie has short fat little legs, and they started to gape some at the tooshie and leak, so we had to move to 3's well before she was 16 lbs. She had to get into the 3's at about 4 months or so... even though she was still a tiny little thing.

The weights are guidelines, not rules. They don't account for some babies being shaped really funny like Maddie. She can still wear size 0-3 month pants b/c her legs are so short and her tummy is so thin, but her little thighs are huge, so she wears size 3 diapers!
[/b]

Alisha has giant thighs too! She gets them from me. She's rather an odd little baby when it comes to sizes. She still fits into her 0-3 month onesies and pants, but has almost outgrown her 6-9 month footed sleepers. Long legs and short torso-- just like me again!
February 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM
CBMS
That's oposite of my little princess! She has such a long torso and teeny tiny legs (in LENGTH only! )! Her legs are short and super fat... but she needs size 6-9 month onesies because of her long torso.

It's a family curse, here, too.
February 12th, 2007, 04:41 PM
nmiracles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nmiracles
I wouldn't stress too much about it. Wal-Mart would definitely exchange with no problem. Good for you for stocking up!
February 12th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our son was in size 3 for a long time!
February 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Joseph has been wearing size 3 for almost a year now!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search