Oh, how I fall in love again...

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2007, 09:47 PM
CBMS
With dollar tree...

I went to the "big" one today (it's about 12 miles as opposed to 1.5 miles!) because I was trying to find more of the Valentine plates and napkins for my little princess' birthday party.... and I wandered back to the frozen stuff. I guess the only other time I'd been there, I was still not totally as much a tight wad as I am now. I mean to tell you!

I could seriously do almost all of my shopping there--and MEGA CHEAP! They have 1 lb. packages of ground turkey for a buck! I thought I was doing so well cutting it from a little over 2 bucks a pound to about a dollar and a half (with my nifty Kitchen Aid), but WOW! a dollar per pound! And packages of meatballs, chicken tenders, cole's garlic bread... the veggies are actually .11 more there than SAL, but SAL is only a couple miles away... But...dollar tree seriously has stuff for me to do a week's worth of meals... I could do something like this:

-Tacos with gr. turkey and homemade flour tortillas (for less than 2 bucks skimping on the cheese, about 2.50 if not)
-hamburger potato soup (with the gr. turkey; for less than 3 bucks)
-spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread (sauce is about .69 from scratch, 1.00 for meatballs, and .59 for spaghetti, 1.00 for garlic bread)
-chicken tenders mashed potatoes and corn (2.00, .15, .30)
-chili and rice (1.00, .50 for beans, .40 two cans tomato sauce, .39 diced tomatoes... and have some left over)
-goulash and corn (SP?) chili left from night before, with elbow noodles added, so it's half of the previous, with .30 for noodles, and .30 for corn.
-salisbury steaks with mashed potatoes and green beans (2.00, .15, .30)

Total for seven days: 16.37!

course, that doesn't include drinks, breakfasts, or lunches... but that's pretty cheap in a pinch!

Menu for the (*ETA: I'm not sure what that was! lol I guess I was tired)
February 13th, 2007, 11:56 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
You have a dollar tree with a freezer section? Oh my goodness, how jealous I am! The Dollar Tree's here don't usually have a lot of food. How awesome!
February 14th, 2007, 08:04 AM
CBMS
Quote:
You have a dollar tree with a freezer section? Oh my goodness, how jealous I am! The Dollar Tree's here don't usually have a lot of food. How awesome![/b]
There's three here--two are about 1.5 miles from my house, one in each direction, but they don't have the freezer section. I have to go pretty far to get to the big one. I found out just how worthwhile it is though. They also have the Gustafson's farms chocolate milk (I think it's a half gallon size) for only a buck! They had other stuff, too---bologna, corn dogs, frozen pizzas, margarine tubs for .50, parkay squeezable for a buck... the list just goes on! I didn't remember the food section being so worthwhile last time I drove out to that one! I was so silly then...
February 14th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Veteran
Our Dollar Tree just added a freezer section, so it may be new. Though, our Dollar Tree's freezer section is not that big. It sounds like the one you went to has a big freezer section!!!!

I have to tell you, though, when we went to my MIL's house a couple of weeks ago, I made a point of going to the Save a Lot (we don't have one, but she lives in another state). I was impressed with their prices, as well. They had Beech Nut Rice Cereal for $1.19 which was very good compared to our stores. Since I had a $1 coupon, I got it for only .19c
February 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I just went to Save A Lot for the first time this last week as well. They opened a newer one here, so I tried that one. My only other SAL experience had not been a good one at the old store next to the discount booze place ... eek. All in all, I thought it was pretty nice. They do have a boat load of their branded items, which makes it harder to use coupons, but when I was able to I did some great saving. I got ground beef there that looked better than the stuff in our grocery store for less than 1.70/lb (for chuck). At Meijer, I would have easily paid over $2/lb for the same thing. SAL did not have good looking chicken though, so I got that at Meijer, but they had bags of frozen boneless skinless BOGO, so it all worked out. Overall, I was quite pleased.

(And I kind of dig bringing the groceries home in a box instead of bags. It's way easier to handle!)
February 14th, 2007, 05:03 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love the Dollar Tree. We have one nearby that has a frozen section but I have yet to visit it. Gonna have to put that at the top of my list now.

February 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our dollar tree does not have a frozen section. *sob*

February 16th, 2007, 06:01 AM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search