homemade baby food?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2007, 11:13 AM
glory_baby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Annie isn't quite ready, yet. However, I am considering making her baby food at home. Has anyone else tried this? How has it worked for you? How much money did it save? Do you have a recommendation for recipes?

We love you Angel Baby...snuggled in His arms at 14weeks
March 12th, 2007, 02:47 AM
BambolinaItaliana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I make Sophie's baby food, or some anyway. I make fruits and veggis, and considering I can get a kilo of veggis (that lasts a week) for the same price as two jars of baby food (lasts only one day) I save a LOT of money! The only food I don't make myself is the meat, since that seems just too easy to mess up, and I don't want to make my baby sick, since I didn't cook the meat the right way!

Good luck!
Kimberly

[/url]<a href="http://lilypie.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
</a>
</a>
x7
March 12th, 2007, 05:59 AM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
I made several things for Alex - carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, green beans and pears. All very easy to make. But he won't eat it.

My food processor can't get the food to the consistency that the Gerber food is. But, I just mix in half homemade, half Gerber and he doesn't seem to mind.

It is definately cheaper to make your own, but it is more work. But, I enjoyed making it for him. I hope that as he gets a little older, he will eat only the homemade food.

I bought the Annabelle Karamel books. I might have spelled her name wrong. She has a book - 100 Baby Purees that has a ton of recipes. Honestly, you can do some searching and find recipes online as well, but I like having the book.

March 12th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Veteran
I made a lot of my baby food. I don't know what I saved, but I'm sure it was a lot. I made & pureed avocado, peaches, apples, sweet potato, and more I just don't remember it all. It wasn't too hard at all!

March 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM
CBMS
I can't get produce cheap enough to make Maddie's food... I just buy Gerber using mad coupons and get them super cheap...
March 12th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Try this site for recipes-- www.wholesomebabyfood.com

</div>
March 12th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Quote:
I can't get produce cheap enough to make Maddie's food... I just buy Gerber using mad coupons and get them super cheap...[/b]
Oooo, where do you find your coupons?

Quote:
Try this site for recipes-- www.wholesomebabyfood.com [/b]
Been there....LOVE it!

March 12th, 2007, 06:43 PM
CBMS
Quote:
Quote:
I can't get produce cheap enough to make Maddie's food... I just buy Gerber using mad coupons and get them super cheap...[/b]
Oooo, where do you find your coupons?

Quote:
Try this site for recipes-- www.wholesomebabyfood.com [/b]
Been there....LOVE it!
[/b]
I sign up at gerber.com and beechnut.com, and I also sign up for all the store mailing lists. That way, I can combine a manuf. coupon with a store coupon and get even bigger savings.
March 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the tips!

March 14th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Quote:
I do most baby food myself, and pretty much everything once the babies are out of stage one. There are some things that are too hard to make stage one, like peas with all the little skins on them its more waste than its worth. Even if you don't do your own everything, there are a ton of easy things to do. A big jar of unsweetened applesause costs next to nothing compared to gerber applesause. Just freeze it in icecube trays. Bananas are the same way. It takes no more work to smash them with a fork than to open a jar! The one other food I bought but cheaper than baby food is 100% pure pureed pumpkin. It was my son's favorite veggie, and a nice switch from sweet potatoes. Just something to think about if you don't have time to do fresh food all the time.[/b]
Those are great tips...gonna have to write them down to save until she's ready. And, I can start stock-piling some of those items.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search